DKRed: An extension of Digi-Key's PCB Builder

DKRed is an option within our PCB builder to offer a low-cost and quick turn option to those who need a printed circuit board for their design. DKRed came about when customers voiced that they needed a premium yet cost-effective option. Set board parameters shown below enable us to allow a low price point.

Brief Technical Specifications:

Board Option DK Red Fixed Selection
Number of Layers 2 or 4
Quantity Minimum of 4 boards
Build Time 5 (Quick Turn) or 10 (Standard) Business Days
Temperature Grade TG-170 to 180
Thickness 0.062 Inches
Silkscreen White
Soldermask Red
Surface Finish ENIG
Copper Weight 1oz

rohs_icon

To get started, simply image into PCB Builder and toggle the DKRed button:

Q&A:

What if my board requires other specifications such as different colors, more layers, etc?
Toggle out of the DK Red button to “Default” to customize options.

Will the board come with parts on it?
All the boards in PCB Builder are unpopulated boards.

How much is it to ship?
DKRed orders have free shipping to all United States locations.

Are there DFM Checks?
The board houses will run a basic DFM check, but please double check your design and layout before board production.

Do you handle internal cutouts?
No, we are not doing internal cutouts.

Can you handle arrays, scoring, V-Cuts or tab routing?
At this time this program is for individual boards only.

How long does it take?
Standard DKRed boards have a build time of 10 business days.
Quick turn DKRed boards have a build time of 5 business days.

Please note transit time is not included within build time. The amount of transit time varies depending on where you are located.

Can you explain the pricing a little more in detail?
For standard 2 layer board orders, the price per square inch per board is $1.50. There is a minimum order quantity of 4 boards.

Example: if you have a design that is 2" wide by 3" long = 6 square inches.
6 square inches x $1.50 = $9 per PCB
$9 per PCB x 4 boards = $36 total cost for the DKRed order.

What is “ENIG”? What does it mean for me in regards to the surface finish?
Its a surface treatment for creating an organic protective film of nickel and gold over the copper to reduce oxidation. Read more about it here:

More Q&A available here:

If you have any other questions, please ask below.

Helpful Links:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Are DKRed boards UL Rated?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Any plans for supporting 4 layer?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Design does not qualify for DKRed

A post was merged into an existing topic: Design does not qualify for DKRed

4 posts were split to a new topic: Standard Board House Specifications

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can a DKRed design contain 2 drill files? Non-plated through holes (NPTH)

I’m trying to take advantage of the DKRed here, and it says that the trace width is 5 mil. Some of my components have larger surface areas, and I’ve used teardrops to make the transition smoother. Is this still covered under the price?

Please note, the DKRed program requires the Gerber format to be RS-274X. We do not accept RS-274-D.

@btin Very sorry at the delay in replying- slipped past us. Yes- we will be clarifying our specifications soon so it reads Minimum of 5mil for both Spaces and Trace Width.

Using teardrops also makes it harder for ‘acid traps’ that can come back to haunt you later (I’m told that isn’t nearly as common with today’s PCB process- But I still think they look better :smirk: so I add them whenever possible).

1 Like

I have ordered DKRed boards I designed in Fusion360 without issue several times, but now a board I have revised in F360 and exported to Gerber appears to have a problem.

I see this when I upload:

and this when I zoom out:

There are two large circles at slightly different origins that overlap the majority of the board layout. I have verified that my Windows is US English localized with “.” for decimal point. I have viewed the same Gerber in a variety of other Gerber viewers, and I see different results. In the PCBWay viewer, I see the same problem. In the F360 preview,t he board looks correct. I posted a question to the F360 support forum and received a response only from another user in Germany who directed me to check the EasyEDA viewer. That viewer seems to have gone offline, but the site directed me to PCB Prototype & PCB Fabrication Manufacturer - JLCPCB. Their viewer also shows the PCB formatted correctly. I am at a loss as to what the problem is, but I would like to continue to use your service. Would you let me know if you have any suggestions on how to proceed? Can I upload the design and flag it for review before your produce it?

Since PCBWay replicates the error, it seems to be an issue with your EDA Tool.

Hi guys. I want to make some PCB that has 50 ohm RF impedance traces and 90 ohm USB traces.

Can you share your board stackup for 2 layer and 4 layer?
(Thickness, copper oz, dielectric)

I use Altium v22 so I want to calculate the impedance trace using these board stackup information.

1 Like

Hi @maalikKyzer, welcome to the Forum! I have put in a request for the documentation to the board house. Once I get it I will post it in here. Thank you for the request!

Thanks, @Linzee_1029 . The thickness unit is [mil], right?

Do you also have the STACKUP for the 2-layer PCB?

Hi @maalikKyzer - You’re correct that the unit of measurement in the 4 layer Stackup document is mils.

Hi, @Linzee_1029 . When using Altium, there are details I need to type, even for the 2 layer board, like this attached picture:
Altium Stackup

For the 2 layer PCB, can you tell me the thickness of

• Top & Bottom solder mask
  • Dielectric thickness
  • Top & Bottom layer thickness
    ?

I’ve emailed the board house to get that information. I hope to have an update for you soon. Thank you!

I have good news, the board house provided the stackup along with the thickness. Here it is:

DKRed - 2 layer - v2.pdf (712.2 KB)

Thank you, @Linzee_1029 . I have one final question/request.

Comparing the two stackups (4 layer and 2 layer), the latest 2 layer info provides the dielectric constants (Df and Dr)
Whereas the 4 layer info doesn’t.

Q) Can you update the 4 layer stackup that has the dielectric constants (Df and Dr)?

Q) According from the two stackups, these are not using the FR-4 core material, right?
Instead, it seems both stackups are using 370HR as the core material.
Is this correct?