Motion Sensors - Accelerometers

This Product Selection Guide contains information to help select products in the Motion Sensors - Accelerometers category on DigiKey.com

Accelerometers are designed to detect and respond to changes in acceleration like movement or vibrations. The Accelerometer types are Analog or Digital in the X, Y, or Z axis with an acceleration range of ±0.5 g to ±2000 g and a sensitivity of 1 to 500 k (LSB/g) with output types of Analog Voltage, Bluetooth, Digital, DSI, IEPE, I2C, PCM, PWM, RF, and SPI.

SelectionCharacteristics

Specifications to determine which Accelerometer is right for your application.

Type: Identifies whether the device is analog or digital.

Axis: Identifies the number of orthogonal planes in 3-dimensional space for which a device provides a sensing or input capability.

Acceleration Range: The span(s) of physical acceleration values over which a device can produce a valid output.

Sensitivity (LSB/g): For digital-output devices, the typical change in output code (# of Least Significant Bits) for a 1g change in acceleration along a sensed axis.

Sensitivity (mV/g): For analog-output devices, the typical change in output voltage for a 1g change in acceleration along a sensed axis.

Bandwidth: The frequency range over which the device is designed to operate.

Output Type: Indicates the type of electrical signal the device provides, such as voltage or I2C.

Available Output Types

Analog Current
The output signal of the device is in amps.

Analog Voltage
The output signal of the device is in volts.

Analog, Digital
The output signal of the device can be an analog and/or digital signal.

Analog, I2C, SPI
The output signal of the device can be an analog signal, and/or an I2C signal, and/or an SPI signal.

Analog, SPI
The output signal of the device can be an analog signal and/or an SPI signal.

DSI (Display Serial Interface)
The device output signal of the device is a high-speed serial output. Typically, this type of output is used for communicating with a display module.

DSI, SPI
The device output signal of the device can be a DSI and/or SPI signal

Digital
The output signal of the device is a traditional binary digital signal. Because they are binary, digital signals are either on or off, there is no middle ground.

IEPE (Integrated Electronics Piezoelectric)
The output signal of the device is a voltage signal with a low impedance value.

I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit)
The output signal of the device is compatible with I2C interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other I2C enabled devices. An I2C signal is uses a synchronous, bi-directional, two wire serial interface.

I2C, I3C (MIPI Alliance Improved Inter Integrated Circuit), SPI
The output signal of the device can be an I2C, and/or I3C, and/or SPI signal. The I3C is an improved version of the I2C protocol with some backwards compatibility with I2C.

I2C, SPI
The output signal of the device can be an I2C and/or SPI signal.

I2C, TDM (Time-Division Multiplexing)
The output signal of the device can be an I2C and/or TDM signal. A TDM signal combines several signals together for transmission over a single communication line.

LoRaWAN
The output signal of the device is based on the LoRaWAN protocol and system structure standards developed by International Telecommunication Union (ITU). LoRaWAN falls under the ITU-T Y.4480 standard.

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation)
The output signal of the device is a PCM signal. PCM changes an analog audio signal into a digital audio signal.

PCM, SPI
The output of the device can be a PCM and/or SPI signal.

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)
Controls the average power of an electrical signal by sending it out in pulses. The longer the length of the pulse, often referred to as duty cycle, the higher average power you will see from that electrical signal. This technology also allows for getting analog results from a digital source.

RF (Radio Frequency)
The output signal of the device is an RF signal. RF signals are transmitted through the air rather than through a physical interface such as a wire or cable. The frequency of the signal determines how many times the signal will be repeated in 1 second. For example a 1.4GHz RF frequency will repeat 1,400,000,000 times in 1 second.

SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface)
The output signal of the device is compatible with SPI interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other SPI enabled devices. SPI signals use separate lines for data and clock transmission allowing for synchronous data transmission.

WIFI
The output signal of the device is a WIFI signal. WIFI is a protocol based on the IEEE 802.11 standard. WIFI uses low frequency radio waves to transmit data through the air for short distances.

Voltage - Supply: Typically represented by a range, this indicates the low and high voltage limits which one can expect standard operation. Voltages outside this range may damage the device and other system components.

Features: These are different capabilities or properties of the device such as adjustable bandwidth and sleep mode.

Available Features

Adjustable Bandwidth
The bandwidth the device operates on can be adjusted by the user.

Batch Mode
Typical devices send data as soon as it is received. Devices with batch mode enable data to be sent as batches at specific intervals. This reduces the number of times data is sent which frees up the processor for other purposes. Typically, this interval can be adjusted by the user. Because there are less data transfers this also typically results in less power usage.

High Pass Filter
Typically, the accelerometer contains a resistor and capacitor in series giving the device the capability of AC response.

Intrinsically Safe
Typically, this indicates devices that operate using low energy signals to prevent fire and explosion in hazardous areas.

5m, 10m, 20m Integral Cable
The device has a cable built into it. The number indicates the length of the cable in meters.

Selectable Low Pass Filter
Incorporates a low pass filter that can be turned on and off by the user. A low pass filter blocks quick changes and only allows slower changes through thereby reducing jitter in the signal.

Selectable Scale/Selective Scale
The range that the device can measure can be adjusted by the user.

Self Test
A feature that verifies the integrity of the device.

Sleep Mode
The device can enter a low power mode when certain criteria are met. This reduces overall power consumption of the device.

Standby Mode
The device can enter a low power mode when certain criteria are met. This reduces the overall power consumption of the device.

Temperature Sensor
The device has a temperature sensor incorporated into it.

Operating Temperature: Recommended operating temperature, typically given in a range or as a maximum. Exceeding these temperatures may affect performance or damage the device and other system components.

Mounting Type: Indicates how the device is attached.

Available Mounting Types

Adhesive
Designed to attach using an adhesive substance.

Chassis Mount
Designed to be mounted to a metal chassis.

Connector
Designed to attach using a connector.

Flange Mount
Screws or bolts go through wings (flanges) that protrude from the product.

Free Hanging
Designed with the connections on the ends.

Screw Mount
Attaches using screw terminals.

Stud Mount
Has a stud bolt incorporated into one side for attachment.

Surface Mount
Have pins or pads that connect to solder pads on the PCB that are then soldered in place forming an electrical and mechanical connection. Number in front of SMD indicates how many pins/pads, for example a 6-SMD module has 6 pins/pads. May not use or even have all the pins/pads for example 24-SMD module, 14 leads: would fit in the space of a 24-SMD module but only has 14 pins/pads. Typically, they are smaller than the through-hole components.
There are three basic types of pins (leads) for surface mount devices.

Lead Types

Gull wing leads: Enable the most pins per inch when compared to J-lead types but they are more fragile. Easy to inspect for defects after soldering.
J-Leads: Less pins per inch than gull wing leads but they are stronger and less susceptible to breakage.
Flat Leads: Must be protectively packaged to prevent damage to leads. Leads must be formed into a gull shape prior to use with a separate piece of equipment. Due to that they are the least popular type of lead.

Surface Mount, Wettable Flank
A wettable flank is calling out a specific design in which the mounting edge of an IC has a fillet that allows you to see and test that a proper connection has been made on a pad that is for the most part not visible once soldered on a board. This aids in inspecting packages such as QFNs.

Through Hole
Have leads (pins) that go through a pre-drilled hole on a PCB and are soldered in place forming both an electrical and a mechanical connection.

Package / Case: Indicates the type of protective case used on an electronic component to allow easy handling, installation, and protection. This selection was determined to be the closest industry standard applicable to the suppliers device packaging. Typically it is best to check the actual dimensions from the datasheet rather than depend on this terminology when designing your circuit.

ProductExamples

MFR PART # MXC6655XA
DIGI-KEY PART # 1267-MXC6655XATR-ND - Tape & Reel (TR)
MANUFACTURER Memsic Inc.
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer X, Y, Z Axis ±2g, 4g, 8g 50Hz 12-LGA (2x2)
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # 805M1-0020
DIGI-KEY PART # 223-1768-ND
MANUFACTURER TE Connectivity Measurement Specialties
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer Z Axis ±20g 0.4Hz ~ 10kHz TO-5-3
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # ADXL206HDZ
DIGI-KEY PART # ADXL206HDZ-ND
MANUFACTURER Analog Devices Inc.
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer X, Y Axis ±5g 0.5Hz ~ 2.5kHz 8-DIP
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # MNS2-9-IN-AC-VM
DIGI-KEY PART # 1859-1065-ND
MANUFACTURER Monnit Corporation
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer X, Y, Z Axis
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # 4030-002-120
DIGI-KEY PART # 223-1427-ND
MANUFACTURER TE Connectivity Measurement Specialties
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer X, Y, Z Axis ±2g 200Hz
DATASHEET Click Here

MediaLinks

Videos
Videos on Accelerometers

Articles
Articles on Accelerometers

Product Training Modules
Product training Modules on Accelerometers

TechForum
TechForum posts on Accelerometers

If you have any questions on the specifications for selecting an Accelerometer, please reply using the button below. If you have questions on a specific accelerometer please post those questions in the Sensors, Transducers category.