Motion Sensors - IMUs (Inertial Measurement Units)

This Product Selection Guide contains information to help select products in the Motion Sensors - IMUs (Inertial Measurement Units) category on DigiKey.com

IMUs (Inertial Measurement Units) are a device that measurers velocity, orientation, and magnetism using an Accelerometer, Gyroscope, and Magnetometer to get the direction, proper acceleration, and location. The other types of sensors include Temperature, Inclinometer, and Barometric Pressure.

SelectionCharacteristics

Specifications to determine which IMU is right for your application.

Sensor Type: The types of individual sensors incorporated into the device.

Output Type: Output: Indicates the type of electrical signal the device provides, such as Analog, UART, and SPI.

Available Output Types

Analog
The output signal of the device is an analog signal.

Bluetooth 2/ Low Energy (LE)
The output of the device is a low energy bluetooth signal.

CAN (Controller Area Network Communication2.0
The output of the device is compatible with CAN interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other CAN enabled devices. A CAN Bus is a two wire serial interface designed for use in harsh conditions, such as automotive applications.

CAN (Controller Area Network Communication) Bus
The output of the device is compatible with CAN interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other CAN enabled devices. A CAN Bus is a two wire serial interface designed for use in harsh conditions, such as automotive applications.

CAN (Controller Area Network Communication)

CAN, I2c, PWM, SPI, UART
The output signal of the device can be any of the listed interface protocols.

CAN, I2C, SPI, USART

CAN, RS-422, TTL

CAN, RS232

CAN, RS232, UART
The output signal of the device can be any of the listed protocols.

CAN, SPI, UART

Ethernet, UART, USB-C, WIFI

I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit)
The output signal of the device is compatible with I2C interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other I2C enabled devices. An I2C signal is uses a synchronous, bi-directional, two wire serial interface.

I2C, I3C (MIPI Alliance Improved Inter Integrated Circuit), SPI
The output signal of the device can be an I2C, and/or I3C, and/or SPI signal. The I3C is an improved version of the I2C protocol with some backwards compatability with I2C.

I2C, MIPI I3C (MIPI Alliance Improved Inter Integrated Circuit), SPI
The output signal of the device can be an I2C, and/or I3C, and/or SPI signal. The I3C is an improved version of the I2C protocol with some backwards compatability with I2C.

I2C, SPI
The output signal of the device can be an I2C and/or SPI signal.

I2C, SPI, UART

I2, UART
The output signal of the device can be either of the listed interface protocols.

RS-232 (RS232)
The output signal of the device is an RS-232 signal. RS-232 is a serial interface protocol based off the EIA/TIA-232-E Standards.

RS-422 (RS422)
The output of the device is an RS-422 signal. RS-422 is a differential interface protocol where each data line is paired with a return line. It is based on the TIA/EIA-422 standard.

RS232, USB
The output signal of the device can be either of the listed interface protocols.

RS-485 (RS485)
The output of the device is an RS-485 signal. RS-485 is a differential interface protocol where each data line is paired with a return line. It is based on the TIA-485(-A)/EIA-485 standard. Uses three-state logic which allows it to work with linear bus topologies, while still only using two wires.

RS485, USB

SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface)
The output signal of the device is compatible with SPI interface protocols, enabling it to communicate with other SPI enabled devices. SPI signals use separate lines for data and clock transmission allowing for synchronous data transmission.

SPI, TTL, UART

SPI, UART

SPI, USB

TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic)
Uses tansistors to perform logic functions and amplify the results. Can communicate with any other TTL enabled device.

UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter)
Uses seperate receiving and transmission lines to provide asyncronous serial communication between devices. Asyncronous references that there is no internal clock used for data transmission.

UART, USB

USB + CAN

USB + RS232

USB + RS485

USB (Universal Serial Bus)
Common Industry standard for transmission of both power and data through the same device.

Operating Temperature: Recommended operating temperature, typically given in a range or as a maximum. Exceeding these temperatures may affect performance or damage the device and other system components.

Package / Case: Indicates the type of protective case used on an electronic component to allow easy handling, installation, and protection. This selection was determined to be the closest industry standard applicable to the suppliers device packaging. Typically it is best to check the actual dimensions from the datasheet rather than depend on this terminology when designing your circuit.

Supplier Device Package: This is what the manufacturer calls the package of this device. They are manufacturer specific. It is typically best to use the actual dimensions from the datasheets rather than to go by this terminology when designing your circuit.

Mounting Type: Indicates how the device is attached.

Available Mounting Types

Chassis Mount
Designed to be mounted to a metal chassis.

Surface Mount
Have pins or pads that connect to solder pads on the PCB that are then soldered in place forming an electrical and mechanical connection. Number in front of SMD indicates how many pins/pads, for example a 6-SMD module has 6 pins/pads. May not use or even have all the pins/pads for example 24-SMD module, 14 leads: would fit in the space of a 24-SMD module but only has 14 pins/pads. Typically, they are smaller than the through-hole components.

There are three basic types of pins (leads) for surface mount devices.

Lead Types

Gull wing leads: Enable the most pins per inch when compared to J-lead types but they are more fragile. Easy to inspect for defects after soldering.
image 189x99, 50%
J-Leads: Less pins per inch than gull wing leads but they are stronger and less susceptible to breakage.
image 72x115, 50%
Flat Leads: Must be protectively packaged to prevent damage to leads. Leads must be formed into a gull shape prior to use with a separate piece of equipment. Due to that they are the least popular type of lead.
image 133x73, 50%

ProductExamples

MFR PART # FSM300
DIGI-KEY PART # 1888-1001-ND
MANUFACTURER CEVA Technologies, Inc.
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, 9 Axis Sensor I²C, SPI, UART Output
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # SCHA63T-K03-05
DIGI-KEY PART # 490-SCHA63T-K03-05TR-ND - Tape & Reel (TR)
MANUFACTURER Murata Electronics
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Temperature, 6 Axis Sensor SPI Output
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # TARS-HCASS
DIGI-KEY PART # 480-7123-ND
MANUFACTURER Honeywell Sensing and Productivity Solutions
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer, Gyroscope, 6 Axis Sensor CAN Bus Output
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # V15206-17-02
DIGI-KEY PART # 1845-V15206-17-02-ND
MANUFACTURER Thales Visionix - a Division of Thales Defense & Security, Inc.
DESCRIPTION Accelerometer, Gyroscope, 6 Axis Sensor Output
DATASHEET Click Here

MFR PART # ADIS16497-2BMLZ
DIGI-KEY PART # ADIS16497-2BMLZ-ND
MANUFACTURER Analog Devices Inc.
DESCRIPTION 6 DOF TACTICAL GRADE IMU 8G 450
DATASHEET Click Here

MediaLinks

Videos
Videos on IMUs

Articles
Articles on IMUs

Product Training Modules
HG1120 and HG4930 IMUs GNSS - Honeywell Aerospace

TechForum
TechForum posts on IMUs

If you have any questions on the specifications for selecting an IMU, please reply using the button below. If you have questions on a specific IMU please post those questions in the Sensors, Transducers category.