SPI Communication Error

Hello

I’m facing an issue while trying to establish SPI communication with an STM32 microcontroller. Whenever I attempt to send data over SPI, I got an error that seems to be related to communication failure. I’ve gone through the datasheets and reference manuals, but I’m unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.

Here are some details about my setup:

• Microcontroller: STM32F4xx
  • SPI peripheral: SPI1
  • SPI mode: Master mode
  • Operating frequency: 1 MHz
  • Connected device: SPI sensor

The error message I’m receiving is:

arduinoCopy code

SPI communication error: communication failure

I’ve tried the following troubleshooting steps without success:

Despite these efforts, the error persists. I suspect it might be a hardware-related issue, but I’m not entirely sure. Any suggestions or insights on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
stevediaz

Hello stevediaz,

Unfortunately, it’s been some time since I have used the STM32 (Nucleo) and I have not use STM32 based SPI from within the Arduino IDE. However, I may have a few ideas:

1. Check the datasheet for soldered jumper assignments. For example, the Nucleo board I used jumped a few I/O pins together. You may need to remove the jumpers of set the I/O pin direction to accommodate the jumper.

2. As you start troubleshooting, verify that the chip select line is functioning as expected. I typically comment out the SPI routine and then monitor the chip select line using an oscilloscope in single sweep mode.

3. For further assistance:

• describe when the error occurs. For example, which line of code, when commented out, clears the error.
  • please post a subset of your code that contains the problem
  • identify the specific micro / or board
  • please identify the IDE (Arduino assumed)

Best Wishes,

APDahlen