TSH511 rf receiver

Seems this part is obsolete. Can anyone please help me find it’s replacement? Thank you.

Hello Ray!

I was only able to locate a few options that are in the same package: https://www.digikey.com/short/zwh19t

Unfortunately they are non-stocking parts and minimums and lead times will apply.

Hi Ray,

That is a highly unusual part for a post-Bluetooth world. It takes in an infrared signal with FM modulation and decodes for applications like headphones. It is unlikely that a part still exists with this functionality. I could not find any.

Can you point me in the right direction? I need the piece to fit in a 10.5 mm diameter footprint. I need it to be pretty inexpensive too.

What is your application? Is it literally for infrared stereo headphones, or something else? The answer would guide any advise I could offer.

I apologize but I’m not able to divulge the exact nature. Its my God sons senior year invention and he’s pretty protective. The basic purpose is to locate an object within a 30 - 40 ft radius while using very little battery power. Obviously the better reach the better though. The piece has to fit in that 10.5mm size though. Thats the key to his idea. What do you think the best tech is for this

Hi Ray,

Some questions:

• Can I assume the object is expected to emit some sort of signal?
  • Will it be line-of-sight or might it be obscured?
  • Might it be outdoors, indoors, or both?
  • How long must the system last before a battery change?
  • What size battery can it handle?
  • I assume the receiver is mobile and the transmitter is fixed - can the receiver be oriented in any direction?
  • Is the entire receiver device 10.5mm, or just some portion of it?
  • Are you thinking of an infrared transmitter/receiver pair?
  • What sort of electronics experience do you have?

· Can I assume the object is expected to emit some sort of signal? Yes

· Will it be line-of-sight or might it be obscured? Mostly obscured

· Might it be outdoors, indoors, or both? Typically indoors although it may be found outside

· How long must the system last before a battery change? The longer the better

· What size battery can it handle? Trying to operate it with a 3.6 volt lithium

· I assume the receiver is mobile and the transmitter is fixed - can the receiver be oriented in any direction? You’re correct and I’m not sure I understand the direction orientation question.

· Is the entire receiver device 10.5mm, or just some portion of it? The receiver and associated electronics should be able to fit within a 10mm x 40mm footprint. 10.5mm would be the outside dimension not including the casing.

· Are you thinking of an infrared transmitter/receiver pair? I don’t know of advantages or disadvantages of infrared. If it’s the least expensive option that’ll do what and fit where we need to then I’m open to it.

· What sort of electronics experience do you have? My experience is limited. My buddy and I developed this about 10 years ago, ran it through the patent office and ultimately got denied the patent. I taught myself quite a bit about this but have since forgotten most of it. I have all my notes are somewhere but I haven’t been able to locate them yet. I do know all the pieces were readily available through digikey for less than $6.00. It would have been up to us to get it produced however after the patent failed we stopped working on it. His son has now decided to take up the work and me being most familiar with it am helping him source the parts. His HS engineering class is requiring a year end project and figured this is pretty cool.

I hope this info all helps. Thanks for your time.

OK, so infrared is out, since that requires line-of-sight, and is less effective outdoors.

That leaves either RF or ultrasonic communication. Ultrasonic is impractical, particularly because it requires more power and generally a larger size. RF will easily reach the distances you require, but directional and distance calculation is very difficult using RF alone. However, if you could use a mobile transmitter to activate a sound and/or light-producing receiver on the object you are trying to locate, you could track it down by looking for the light or listening for the sound. This would not be a novel design, as there are many commercial products which you can purchase inexpensively which do this, such as this item..

One could design a similar device using RF modules, but getting the size down to your requirements might prove difficult without circuit board design experience. Those also typically take a fair amount of experience writing microcontroller code to make them functional. There are a few larger RF modules which are somewhat easier to use and for which there are a fair amount of examples and support available online, such as the XB3-24Z8PT-J. However, the pricing is significantly higher, and getting them down to the size you want my not be possible.

The key finder your talking about wasn’t available when I put the patent through. It sucks that someone was able to produce a variant of what our idea was (ours wasn’t for keys and didn’t light up). Heck, we started this in 2009. Anyway, I believe the chip they’re using for that is the same as the one I originally sourced. Four function location, will activate an alarm of some type. I have to find the breadboard kit I had sourced from digikey to prove range and function. Really disappointing actually. This kid taking on the project was exciting me.

To be clear, this part is not available at this time unless we buy in bulk and then it may take a while to get them. Can you tell me lead times and minimum purchase quantity and price please. I think he’ll press on providing the parts are available.

Also, he’s got the support of his HS engineering team. I’m not sure how far they can go with circuit boards however if its available to him he’s going to get it done

If you are referring to the TSH511, no, it is no longer produced and can no longer be obtained anywhere. It was declared obsolete by STMicroelectronics in 2010. There is no replacement for it.

If you are looking for a low-cost RF solution with which he may have success, you might want to look at the RFM75-S-ND. It’s a little larger than your specified maximum of 10.5mm (it’s 16.8 x 12.8 x 2mm), but is relatively low-cost, and can interface fairly simply with fairly basic microcontrollers like Arduino and PIC-based MCU’s…