Wandboard Kernel Resources Compared

Hi Tech forum. I have a question about the official kernel for the Wandboard. On the official Github for the wandboard site (https://github.com/wandboard-org/linux), the kernels are much older than 4.14. But they still appear to be kept up to date for the vintage of the kernel when there are critical updates. But when I look at the info posted by Robert C Nelson, he has provided a 4.14 kernel (github.com/RobertCNelson/armv7-multiplatform). So is the implication that Robert simply tried to do his best merging in the older Wandboard kernels from the older source into 4.14? Or does the wandboard mostly just work using vanilla kernel? If not, why has this work for the 4.14 kernel not been merged back into the official wandboard github? If so, why does the wandboard community work so hard to produce an older kernel that works on their platform?

Reason I ask is I am trying to figure out where the latest and most stable kernel resources live for the wandboard.

Thanks, Jay

The WandBoard developers, just grabbed NXP’s official linux fork they package for there customers and they added WandBoard patches on top…

I have not used WandBoard’s reference tree for any of my branches since v3.0.x…

Almost everything on the WandBoard works perfectly fine on mainline, except for Bluetooth/WiFi. 2D/3D graphics works on mainline with etnaviv driver from mesa (full OpenGL/etc…) I’ve pinged the WandBoard developers a few times, but never was able to get the schematics from them on the later boards, to help fix Bluetooth/WiFi on mainline…

That’s their choice…

Just use mainline v4.19.x (an lts release)…

Regards,

so what advantages are there for using NXP fork vs using vanilla kernel from kernel.org? Do you base your branches off of kernel.org or NXP fork?

All my branches are based off mainline (kernel.org)… For the WandBoard, the only diff is to get the WiFi working on Rev A/B/C boards… Where as Rev D WiFi doesn’t work…

Regards,

thank you for your quick responses. This has been very helpful.
-Jay