T0058759726N
surface mount removal
SMT removal
Chip Quik Inc.
SRA Soldering Products
Apex Tool Group
Weller®

Hi Ryan,

this removal alloy is a lifesaver. I was the hero in our small light industrial shop when I discovered it because it kept the team from burning up our PCBs doing hot air rework (it also saves you from having to buy hot air rework equipment in the first place)

Generally I wouldn’t advise a solder pump is needed with it.

The manufacturer advises to use solder wick and flux to wick off the alloy material from the pads after component removal, or heat it up and just wipe way the molten alloy with a cotton swab, then apply solder to the pads to dilute the concentration of the alloy, and then remove the solder again so you have flat solder pads to reinstall a surface mount component. Or you can just solder on to the pads with the alloy still plating the pads.

Hi Kristof,

Great advice. The more the regular solder is diluted with this the longer it will stay in liquid form, easier to wipe down, and leave the joints sparkling clean. But yes I agree it is best to do another cleaning of regular solder to make sure the removal alloy is minimized or fully off the board depending on circuit/environment requirements.