BBB: How to make a bootable disk copy?

That’s a partition, BalenaEtcher needs the full drive… (/dev/mmcblk1)…

Regards,

Hi Robert,
I think I tried the full drive file (.img->.img.xz). The BalenaEtcher generated the same error: no bootable partition, or I missed something.

Best Regards,
David

BalenaEtcher doesn’t need the *.xz extension, you can use the raw *.img file…

The bootloader files are before the 1st partition… so in dd, you need the full drive: /dev/mmcblk1

Regards,

I got you. Let me try again.

Best Regards,
David

Hi Robert,

BalenaEtcher takes .img file created from mmcblk1, but if that .img file is converted to .img.xz, it complains “the file has no partition table”, something like that.
Best Regards,
David

How did you compress it? use:

xz -T3 -z -8 filename.img

Regards,

No. I used tar -cvJf . That’s the problem. Thank you.

Best Reagrds,
David

maybe the copy eMMC to MicroSD script dont work on the ubunt 20.04 any more… would like to make me a quick default flasher for several BBB however not sure what to do when i run the script i get

$ sudo bash beaglebone-black-copy-eMMC-to-microSD.sh
Error: script halting, system unrecognized…

got the tools from GitHub - RobertCNelson/tools: small collection of scripts that end up on the ARM images...
got the image from https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/ubuntu-focal-armhf-minimal/

no clue what to do now … plz hlp

Hi @milesbdyson ,

When Debian 11.x (Bullseye) came out, i took some time to re-write the flasher’s… This was back ported to 20.04, and should be pre-installed on your image…

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dpkg --list | grep bb-beagle-flasher
ii  bb-beagle-flasher                          1.20220202.3-0~focal+20220301        armhf        beagleboard.org beagle-flasher

There are two commands…

sudo enable-beagle-flasher

“enable-beagle-flasher” sets up the media to flash the ‘other’ media on the next reboot.

So, if you boot from microSD, that script would enable the microSD to flash the eMMC on the next boot.

The other:

sudo beagle-flasher

This is standalone and just copies the media over to the other media…

So, if you booted from microSD, it would directly copy that over to the eMMC… It’s not 100% safe, like the other, as you are running directly from it, but it’s good enough for most users. (if you have xorg/etc use the other…)…

So if your already running from the eMMC, i’d stick in a blank microSD and run:

sudo beagle-flasher

Once done, i’d then bootup ‘once’ with the microSD and run:

sudo enable-beagle-flasher
sudo systemctl poweroff

Now that microSD is setup for auto-flashing every board booted with it…

Regards,

1 Like

wow what a face palm moment… lol thank you works perfectly … once again you have saved my life thank you thank you!