Is BLDC-SHIELD_IFX007T compatible with 36V 350W BLDC motor?

Hi,
I’m planning to buy BLDC-SHIELD_IFX007T from Digikey. But I’m little confused with it’s compatibility with the motor that I have. May I know if this BLDC-SHIELD_IFX007T controller is compatible with 36V 350W BLDC motor? Also, I want to know If I can control the direction of the motor on both directions using this board. Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

The linked manual for the board recommends selection of a motor rated 250W/24V or less:

This does not necessarily mean that your motor is entirely unusable with the board in question, but you should not expect to obtain the motor’s full rated output if doing so.

Brushless motor drives are generally capable of bi-directional control, though responsibility for achieving this would be up to whatever device you use to provide control signals to it.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I saw the documentation of the board. 40v is mentioned as max. So I think I can operate the motor but with lesser current resulting in lesser power consumption. I’ve another confusion. The battery I’ve has a max voltage of 43.8V which is slightly higher than the board’s max Voltage. Since the board’s absolute max voltage is 40v without any + or - range, I just wanna know if my battery’s max voltage will affect the board in anyway. Kindly let me know about this. Thanks.

there is other boards like
MRTCPE-BBBCAPE-ND that you can go up in the voltage 46v 3a

Abs. Max. supply voltages are to be taken literally, respected, and given a wide berth; do not connect the battery pack described directly to the board in question unless you desire to to destroy the board.

In most motor systems, the available supply voltage relates to maximum achievable speed, while current limitations govern the maximum deliverable torque.

I would not suggest the MRTCPE-BBBCAPE, since it does not appear to be designed for BLDC drive applications and has a significantly lower output current.

I would point out that drive appliances for motors/supplies of this scale are widely available as finished products through popular consumer goods suppliers for electric bike/scooter use. A device of this kind may be better suited to your needs than the development/experimental platforms mentioned above.

1 Like

Thanks @rick_1976 for a detailed response. So according to what you mentioned and by keeping the abs. Max. voltage in mind, I think I can go with 39V with the battery I mentioned instead of allowing it to charge till it’s max voltage. By this way I think I can make use of the board in my application without destroying the board. Correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks!

It’s a bad idea, like filling a glass to the brim is a bad idea if one desires to carry it without spilling, and for similar reasons.

Semiconductor devices rated for at least 60V would be more appropriate for the task.

1 Like