MCIMX53-START-R Mainline Kernel Options

Hi
I have below queries ,

1.Whether the kernel versions from 5.4 to 5.15 are supported for i.MX53 platform.
2.Whether all the interfaces are tested and validated
3.If available , How do I get them for testing and building my source code.

Please provide more details

Hi @syedrrizwan999 , the kernel branches listed on

Where tested at the time of editing… Sadly i long replaced my imx53’s with quad core imx6’s in my build farm.

As far as “tested and validated”, please reply with which interfaces you actually need. NXP provides an “ancient” kernel that is well tested and validated, but now over 10 years old… It was up to NXP and the user of NXP boards to commit those changes to mainline over that time frame.

Source Code: all branches on teh wiki page use kernel.org’s releases…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Mainly all the interfaces available in i.MX53 platform along with display support.

Hi Robert,

Please let us know which is the latest kernel supported for i.MX53
Below are the required interfaces

1. DDR3
  2. SD Card interface
  3. NOR Flash Interface
  4. SRAM interface
  5. 18-bit RGB interface
  6. LVDS
  7. SPI
  8. UART /RS232
  9. Ethernet 10/100Mbs
  10. Touch Screen Interface (Resistive)
  11. RTC (Internal / External)
  12. USB 2.0 Hi Speed Hosts (2)
  13. USB 2.0 OTG Hi Speed (1)
  14. RS-485
  15. CPLD
  16. SATA
  17. VGA
  18. Audio Codec
  19. Graphics drivers to use graphics accelerator
  20. I2C

Regards,
Rizwan Syed

There was a project started to reverse engineer this and use mesa on the i.mx53, but i don’t think it ever completed.

Everything else should be supported by U-Boot and the Kernel today.

Regards,

Which source code should i use to work with imx53.
Whether any latest kernel is available to work with i.MX53?

Hi @syedrrizwan999 i’d start with the latest LTS release (v5.15.x) and verify each subsystem that your design requires…

Regards,

Hi,
Do you have latest 5.15.x version readily available with you.If not available, Can we get latest kernel for i.MX53
We are migrating from WEC7 to Linux as WEC7 is depreciated.
Can you provide your email address so that we can have a quick call to discuss on this issue .

Regards,
Rizwan Syed

In my guide for the MCIMX53-START-R Debian: Getting Started with the MCIMX53-START-R the v5.15.x option will give you a build of 5.15.86, which is only a month old…

The imx53 hardware you used, was this a custom PCB, or an off the shelf design, wondering if it’s already supported, or this will require a fresh port…
mx53

Regards,

Hi Robert,

This is custom board with most of the interfaces same as Evaluation board and some new interfaces like SRAM, NOR flash, RTC ,LVDS with different size.

Hi Robert,

I am using the debian source code from the links which you have shared.
I need some steps/URL to build some simple application on the debian platform.

@syedrrizwan999 there is no one ‘trivial’ answer to your question. Without knowing your actual goals, your asking for a paperclip in a haystack. Debian includes around 60K packages/libraries etc all pre-built. Almost every programming language ever written.

What are you trying todo? What framework do you require, etc…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

In Simple , Just consider If I want to run hello world application .What steps do I need to follow.
I exported the above cross compiler mentioned in the link and gave gcc hello.c -o hello to compile which gives me error like “cannot execute binary file:Exec format error”.…May be because of gcc command.

To Execute in i.MX53, how to export the cross compiler , build the hello world application and run the hello world application in debian platform is my requirement.

Thanks in Advance

how did you export it, then you’d normally something like: ${CC}-gcc ?

But beyond that, this is Debian, not Buildroot/Yocto. In Debian everything is native built, so why deal with cross compilers, setting up cross built libraries… Just login into Debian running on the Board and build with the native “armhf” tools…

While doing Cross Compiling with Yocto/Buildroot is fully expected, don’t waste your time using Cross Compilers with Debian… Just use the native built toolchain, build and develop your application on target without wasting time with Cross Compilers…

Regards,