NXP RF Legacy Products

Recently while looking for information on the NXP MRFX1K80 I found that it and a number of other RF products had been moved into a category “Legacy RF”.
Within this category the webpages for all products have a message “not recommended for new designs” even though specific products still have a status of “Active”.

Are NXP in the process of discontinuing their HF and VHF RF products?

Hello obroad,

Usually when a part is listed as “Not Recommended for New Design”, it means that part will probably not be in productions in the near future. As for what NXP is planning, we do not receive that information, until the part status is changed. Contacting the manufacturer directly is the best way to locate life cycle information on their parts.

I’m trying NXP directly too, but by putting it on the website while leaving the product status at “active” they seem to be spreading FUD without any actual information.

A product status of Active, Not Recommended for New Designs is a signal that product discontinuance is anticipated on an uncertain time horizon, and that actions should be taken to mitigate the effects of such.

The actual point of production discontinuance may vary depending on residual sales, release of likely replacement products, and other factors. Further information is often not available because it is not known/decided at the time a product is flagged as NRND. When the matter becomes formalized, a Last Time Buy date is typically announced.

When a product goes NRND, that’s a signal to work on migrating to something else, whatever that might look like in any given case. 'Tis better to be given forewarning with uncertainty in such matters, than to receive a definitive announcement effective immediately.

1 Like

Companies spreading FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) is a way to decrease sales and, AFAIK, is exclusively used against competitors not against themselves. In fact in a publicly traded company like NXP where there is fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, it is illegal to harm your companies sales/profits by spreading misinformation about yourself.

Microsoft used FUD about Linux to improve sales of Windows.
Some Linux enthusiasts spread FUD about Windows to improve adoption of Linux over Windows.

I have never seen Microsoft spread FUD about Windows or an actual Linux enthusiast spread FUD about Linux.