Which Components need AEC-Q200 standard

When choosing components for an automotive application, you may find yourself asking “Does every component I use in my automotive product need AEC-Q200 qualification ?”. The answer is “no”.

AEC-Q200 is the global standard for stress resistance that all passive electronic components must meet if these components are going to be used in an automotive application. Passive components include devices such as Chip Resistors, Through Hole Resistors, Resistor Arrays, Ceramic Capacitors, Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors, Fixed Inductors, NTC Thermistors, PTC Thermistors, Resistance Temperature Detectors, Current Sense Transformers, Pulse Transformers, Real Time Clocks, TVS Devicess, PTC Resettable Fuses and so on.

These parts are only deemed to be “AEC-Q200 qualified” if they have passed the stringent suite of stress tests contained within the standard. AEC-Q200 has five different grades components can test to, which determines where in a vehicle they may be used. Please check the below chart to see these grades, the basic temperature requirements for each grade, and where that grade of part can be used.

What about connectors? So far I could not see any automotive rating for connectors

Hello @sp12 ,

While some connectors are built and referenced to be used in automotive applications they do not carry the AEC-Q200 ratings like many of the board level components. In-fact if you look at many of them you will not see an automotive level information as they are used in such a variety of application. TE for instance listed their DTM Series of connectors as automotive on their website, however there is no automotive rating.

Thank You
-Robert