This details an example of interfacing Amphenol’s Telaire T9602-3-D-1 Humidity/Temperature sensor to Digi’s XBee3 intelligent Zigbee wireless module. The project uses the T9602 sensor connected over I2C to Digi’s Xbee 3 Zigbee wireless module mounted in their Grove development board. A Micropython script running on the Xbee3 reads active I2C addresses and communicates with the T9602 sensor to read temperature and humidity and send wirelessly to a Zigbee coordinator.
- XB3-24Z8US-J Digi XBee3 RF Module at Digi-Key
- XBee SMT Grove Development Board at Digi-Key
- Amphenol T9603-3-D-1 sensor at Digi-Key
- Seeed Technology 110990210 Grove cable at Digi-Key
- Digi XBee3 Zigbee 3.0 Module User Guide
- Digi MicroPython Programming Guide
- Digi Xbee Grove Development Board User Guide
- Amphenol Telaire T9602 | Humidity & Temperature Sensor - Datasheet
- Amphenol Telaire ChipCap2 | Humidity and Temperature Sensor - Application Guide
Amphenol T9602 Sensor
Amphenol’s T9602 humidity sensor is water resistant (IP 67 rated) and available with I2C digital or PDM (Pulse Density Modulated) output. It is based on the Telaire ChipCap2 humidity/temperature sensor and is fully calibrated and temperature compensated. This project uses the T9602-3-D-1 version which has 1 meter of cable terminated with a JST EHR-4 connector and a 3.3V I2C digital output. A Grove connector jumper cable is used to interface between the T9602 sensor and Xbee SMT Grove board as shown in below diagram. For Digi-Key Scheme-it® project and BOM see link.
Xbee SMT Grove Board
Digi’s Xbee SMT Grove board is a development platform allowing use of multiple SMT form factor Xbee wireless modules. Various Xbee signals, including I2C, are routed to eight grove connectors on the board to allow easy interface to external devices.
MicroPython code that runs on a Xbee 3 Zigbee wireless module connected to an T9602-3-D-1 Humidity/Temperature sensor over I2C. The example code scans the I2C bus and prints active addresses, reads temperature and humidity and sends to the Zigbee coordinator in a continuous loop.
Amphenol T9602 I2C version Sensor Measurement Process
Detailed I2C interface instructions and information is found in Telaire ChipCap2 | Humidity and Temperature Sensor - Application Guide :