30A Fuse voltage rating

I am looking for a fuse that can limit my load current to 30A. The voltage rating should be upto 350V AC.

Littlefuse Mini 297 series seems a good option in terms of price but they just have 35V DC rating.

I can not find AC voltage rating for this fuse in the datasheet. Can this be used upto 350V AC?

The mini 297 series is an automotive fuse and wholly inadequate for a 350VAC circuit. Current options for 30A fuses with rating >=350VAC can be found here.

1 Like

Thanks. Is this an industry grade fuse: 0683G9300-01
Seems to have the best price and dimension is minimal. But not easily replaceable.

this is a surface mount ceramic fuse that you mount to a board. This is used in a variety of applications listed in the datasheet. like power supplies.

1 Like

It’s unclear to me what specifically you mean by “industry grade.”

Permanently-mounted fuse formats of the sort are best suited for applications where the supported load is limited by design, allowing specification of a fuse that should last the lifetime of the application.

Applications where the load cannot be controlled by design are better served by serviceable fuse formats, such as the 1/4" x 1 1/4" (3AG) style, also found in the list. That’s also a size common enough that one stands a fair chance of finding a replacement from local sources.

2 Likes

Thanks. I m looking to find a fuse in series with my 30A relay T9GS1L14-12 output for overcurrent/overload protection.
What is the general practice in this case? I dont know how long the relay can withstand 30A to use and find response time of the fuse.
In this case the load is unknown, could be resistive, inductive or capacitive.

General practice would be to use a circuit breaker rather than a fuse in cases where there’s an unknown/user-supplied load, because they’re easy to reset and people have a habit of doing silly things. They’re great for protecting systems against moderate overload, such as when one too many crock pots gets plugged into the same circuit during the local chili contest.

Fuses are better suited for the type of scenario where it’s assumed that some part of the system has already converted itself to smoke and/or shrapnel, and the main interest is in preventing what’s left of it from setting the building on fire. There is of course, some cross-over between the two ideas.

Long enough that it shouldn’t matter much what sort of protection device one uses. Mechanical contacts typically don’t fail due to excess current flow in a static state, but during switching after wearing for a while, and at loads within their ratings.

This post might be informative regarding fuse selection; the distinction between IEC and UL current ratings is particularly noteworthy.

2 Likes

Thanks. Are there circuit brakers with dimensions in the order magnitude of T9GS1L14-12?
And they seem to be expensive compared with a relay and a fuse.
Plus that a circuit braker is not controllable like a relay.

It seems like my chippest option here is to use a blast fuse in series with the relay.
For example 0ADEC9300-BE.
Can we use a fuse like this with a holder or some type so that it is serviceable or replaceable by the user?

Keveh,

Click here, for some example of fuse holders for 507-2098-ND fuse. These include some board mounted and panel mounted options.

1 Like