About Mlcc

I am writing a report on Mlcc. I referred to the data that the rated voltage should be set to more than twice the circuit voltage when designing the circuit. But the president asked if it is okay to use high voltage of 1000~2000V. (28V is actually applied to the circuit) If the characteristics other than the rated voltage are the same, Can the circuit be affected because the rated voltage is high???

Hello rhwhddns1029,

Welcome to the DigiKey TechForum.
I also believe that the voltage rating should be twice of the system voltage it will normally see.
The voltage rating is the maximum voltage that it can handle, and it should work fine on lower voltages. Is there a reason they want to go so high on the voltage?
Maybe one of the engineers can add their knowledge to this post, and if there is any reason why the high voltage ones shouldn’t be used it this application.

Hi @rhwhddns1029 ,

Generally speaking it is okay to have a capacitor with higher voltage as long as the other specifications meet your application requirements, however, it can be common to see physical component size increase with voltage increase and/or less current handling capability.