Doubt smd capacitors

Ceramic smd capacitors, polyester smd capacitors mounted on a PCB electronic circuit and stored for long periods of time without being energized without use, suffer from the same problem as aluminum electrolytic capacitors, losing capacitance, high leakage current…?

This is a definite oversimplification but for practical purposes should do:

Aluminum electrolytic caps are “wet” caps, they dry out with age and are no longer usable.

Ceramic and polyester are “dry” caps, so can’t suffer the same problem.

All capacitors have specification drift with age, but “dry” caps usually change so little with age that they work well enough in many application to last for many decades.

what is dry capacitor? I know that aluminum electrolytic capacitors suffer if they remain unused for many years without power but ceramic, tantalum and polyester do not know how they react in long storage

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors have a “wet” dielectric layer - they’re cans filled with goo. The goo can dry out or otherwise disappear/go bad over time, rendering the capacitor unusable.

Ceramic and polyester capacitors are solid material all the way through, they’re “Dry” that way. Because they have no liquid component, they’re more stable long term, as Paul Hutch pointed out.

Does this type of capacitor stored for long periods of time no uses present the same problems as conventional aluminum electrolytic capacitors (loss of capacitance, oxidation, high current leakage, depolarization…)?

That appears to be a 100uF 6.3V aluminum electrolytic capacitor.

It might be a poly, we have through hole caps that look similar with the blue marking (AVG series from Cornell Dubilier comes to mind).

@cloudff7 I spent some time and could not ID your cap photographed. You will have to assert the type of capacitor it is. Regardless, I would set aside a distributed sample of the stored parts and verify their values via instrumentation (note that ceramics need special consideration when put to scope)

this type of capacitor stored for long periods of time no uses present the same problems as conventional aluminum electrolytic capacitors (loss of capacitance, oxidation, high current leakage, depolarization…)?

@cloudff7 Can you identify what type of capacitor you are asking about? The question is not clear from your statement.

-Robert

aluminum electrolytic capacitors mounted on a PCB and stored for long periods present problems due to disuse, is this correct or not? i have snes and ps2 slim consoles and crt tv stored

Hello @cloudff7

I think was addressed here.

Limited storage may be ok but it there are issues with stored electronics electrolytic caps can certainly be a culprit.

-Robert

Is there much difference for the preservation of aluminum electrolytic capacitors in PCBs to turn on and energize the electronic device in 6 months x 1 year? 6 months the chance of failure is lower and the prevention of plaque oxidation is higher compared to a 1 year interval?

Only if the engineer creates a very bad design will an electrolytic capacitor die in just a few years.

With proper circuit design, an aluminum electrolytic should last at least 5 years in a finished product and often will work for 30 or more years.

Electronic product life is more about proper design methods than specific part types.

1 Like

my doubt is storage:

Is there much difference for the preservation of aluminum electrolytic capacitors in PCBs to turn on and energize the electronic device in 6 months x 1 year? 6 months the chance of failure is lower and the prevention of plaque oxidation is higher compared to a 1 year interval?

@cloudff7

Use will likely have less of an impact on the capacitors and could actually reduce the life of the capacitors depending on the actual application as life of the capacitor is generally rated based on run time and temperature. Some devices properly stored still work after 30-40 years. No magic formula here other than proper storage temps and humidity will have more impact on boards and components that frequency of use when you are talking about storage.
-Robert

Does long-term disuse damage aluminum electrolytic capacitors? Turn on electronic devices at certain times to prevent damage, what is the recommended for and safe interval?

Often it is not long term disuse that causes issues in storage but use that damaged or dried the seals that cause drying in storage. Improper storage can also cause damage. I have read some threads that also suggest use helps with life of the dielectric though most failures I have seen are results of seal failure.
That being said long term storage is not a common use purpose for most electronics and electrolytic caps specifically so the manufacturers do not have a recommended interval for cycling power when in a circuit only for storage as a component(off-board) or life (being used) in the circuit.

-Robert

the storage in my room the temperature ranges from 33-35C and I use a dehumidifier

for the dielectric what is the recommendation and frequency to turn on the devices?

As stated earlier this would not be a typical use case for the component itself so if there is a specific device you could contact that manufacturer though again if storage is not a typical use case there is not likely going to be a recommended power cycle.
-Robert