Magnet - wifi on off switch

Hello,

New here, I have a project I would love help with,

I want to get basic parts to form the following function:

1. Metal presses against surface, lets say a table with a carved on off symbol on it.
  2. embedded in that surface, beneath the symbol is a magnet reed switch (what kind of switch would work best here?) that toggles on and off when the metal is placed onto the external table on top of the symbol. Thus the metal turns the switch on and off by being placed on and off the embedded switch.
  3. The magnet switch connects to a wifi on off switch.
  4. The wifi switch communicates with another wifi on off switch.

Anyone know where do I start?

Appreciated.
Ross

Welcome to the Technical Forum. Well there is more to the design than providing part numbers . Here are a couple articles on Reed switched you can review:

Here is another design guide I found for designing with reed switches:

Standex wrote that article and we do distribute for them. Here is a link to the Reed Switches we sell:

You will need to determine what you need. Hopefully the articles help you. A wireless device I found on the website that can tranmit and receive using the
RS232, RS485 would be 2170-DX80SR9M-H-ND. T Though there are many devices you can choose ont he website with your design. Here is the link to some finished products you might use in your design: https://www.digikey.com/short/7qv8j78r

Though you will need to do some research as there are so many considerations you need to review for your design.

1 Like

Standard reed switches do not detect regular metal, instead they detect when a magnet of any type comes near. If you can substitute a magnet for the metal in your description then a standard reed switch will work.

IIRC, there used to be reed switch assemblies that contained a magnet and would switch when ferrous metal came near, but I don’t recall seeing one in decades. I think everyone switched to hall-effect switches for those applications.

Actually since you likely have power available you should consider a hall-effect switch. They can be far more sensitive than reed switches and have nearly infinite life compared to the finite life of a reed switch. Also reed switches are somewhat delicate glass while hall-effect switches are extremely rugged integrated circuits (like tubes vs. transistors).

I only recommend reed switches over hall-effect switches when you need:
Ultra low power at higher switching frequencies.
Non-polarized low resistance switching (e.g. switching audio).

1 Like