Peltier module to cool below 0 degree Celsius

Hello,

I’m looking for a Peltier cooling module and controller for my 3D printer.

I have not used Peltier devices before, So I need help choosing a proper module for my application.

Room temperature : 20 - 34 Degree Celsius

Peltier cooling: Below -10 Degree Celsius

Application: Cooling down a syringe containing liquid

I also have some doubts

Q1. Can the same module be used to heat the surface if I reverse the polarity of supply( I want the same end to be cold sometimes and Hot some other times)

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. What voltage and current are you going to be working with? If your operating temperature is going to be 20 -34 degree C we would only have one module that fits that. It is made by CUI Inc, and their part number is CPM-2F. Here is a link. https://www.digikey.com/short/p8p33z For a peltier you will have a set hot and cold side. If you reverse polarity the original cold side becomes the hot side and vice versa.

Thanks, Bobby

Like I said I have not used Peltier devices before. For the completion of one of my projects, I need to cool down a syringe(55 CC) below -10 degree Celsius. The power supply used for 3D printer is 12V 20A. I think I can step down voltage if Peltier needs a low voltage. But the cold side should reach -10 Degree Celsius when machine is used in a room having temperature 20-35 degree Celsius.

You may need to step down the voltage and current depending on the specific module. The temperature that you need for your application was only met by the one option I gave above. I looked through our options, but we do not have many options for the temperature you need.

Okay
SO this Module can reach -10 Degree Celsius.

How to find the maximum lowest temperature it can reach
Is there any controller for this module?

There is no controller for this module. The cold point can be found on the datasheet here. https://www.cui.com/product/resource/cpm-2f.pdf

There are a couple of good application notes on the use of peltier devices here and here that I would suggest, and having a good handle on the basics of thermal analysis is also a key ingredient in being successful on purpose in this area.

The “Delta Tmax @ Th” parameter describes the maximum temperature difference a device can produce when it’s not pumping any heat. The quoted figure applies at the hot-side temperature (Th) indicated, and doesn’t change all that terribly much if the actual Th differs slightly. The 30 to 45°C temperature difference being asked for is well under the 60 to 70 that most single-stage devices are capable of, so in principle just about any such device could be used at room temperature to make -10°C.

In practice, the quality of one’s physical implementation makes a huge difference in what’s achievable or not, and understanding the concepts in the references above references is really quite important; the solutions to common problems here can be the exact opposite of what might expect.