Rotary solenoid to be connected to cdaq-9171 compactdaq chassis

Hello everyone, I’m in need of a rotary solenoid that can be controlled and activated by a cDAQ-9171 CompactDAQ Chassis. Could anyone assist me with this?

Welcome to the TechForum mfr7.
Here are the rotary solenoids that we have available: https://www.digikey.com/short/024fmp15
I do not know what voltage you can output from your cdaq-9171 to control it.
Maybe one of the engineers on the TechForum can add to this post.

Hey David,
Thank you for your message, I am not sure about the voltage.
I will wait to get it from some of the engineers, and then I will purchase the correct rotary solenoid.

None of the suggested solenoids will be directly drivable from a data acquisition module; they require far more power than is available from a signal-level output.

Typical practice would be to provide an auxiliary power supply of a voltage suitable for any desired accessories, and control them using a transistor, solid-state relay, or similar device that can be driven from a signal-level DAQ output.

Dear Rick, thanks for your response. Could you suggest any product that I can use in between the DAQ and the solenoid to make the system works, as you mentioned?

The options are numerous, ranging from dedicated relay drive modules made by your DAQ manufacturer, to discrete components to DIN-rail mountable modules. What you want the physical result to look like will guide the choice of device to use.

The general idea is that the small signal available from the I/O module needs amplification to be able to drive a relay, and whatever device is used to do that must be protected against the effects of the relay coil’s inductance during turn-off. A simple approach to this is pictured below. Pick Q1 to tolerate the required load current, be drivable with the available I/O voltage, and withstand the auxiliary supply voltage Vcc with a good margin left over. Pick TVS diode D1 to not conduct when Vcc is imposed across it, while having a clamping voltage less than the withstand rating of the protected transistor, Q1. For improved protection of the DAQ device under fault conditions, substitute the transistor with a solid state relay of suitable specifications.

While attempting to connect and operate a rotary solenoid, I’m encountering problems concerning the extent of rotation exhibited by the solenoid.

Here are some additional details about the situation: Rotary solenoid model: DSRS-0640-26-45D ;Voltage rating: 26V ;Power rating 14W ;Resistance: 3.8 Ohms ;45” Stroke

Problems: The rotary solenoid is not rotating through its full range of motion as expected. It appears to be operating at a limited range, restricting its movement capabilities.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken: I have verified that there is an adequate power supply; I have inspected the wiring and connections for any signs of damage, loose connections, or shorts; I have double-checked for any damage to the coil.

Despite these efforts, the issue persists. I’m unsure whether the problem lies with the solenoid itself, the voltage supply, or if there might be other factors I’m overlooking. Therefore, I kindly request guidance and expertise on the matter.

Could you please assist me with the following inquiries:

Is there a specific troubleshooting process I should follow to identify the cause of the limited rotation range?

Are there any additional tests or measurements I should perform to gather more information about the problem?

Are there any specific adjustments I should be aware of to maximize the range of motion?

Through what angle is the solenoid rotating?

There should be mechanical stops at both ends of the solenoid’s range of motion, and you should be able to move it between them by hand, or possibly using an appropriate tool depending on the force of the return spring.

If the solenoid travels through its full range of motion manually but can’t overcome its own return spring under electrical power, that’s a good indication that it’s not being driven appropriately.

The DSRS-0640-26-45D consumes nearly 180W under nominal input conditions, and should move with considerable authority. Check your supply again and measure current flow when the solenoid is actuated.