Unxz image file

Hi Robert,

You have shown me the xz command to compress .img file to reserve the partitions in my previous topic.

xz -T3 -z -8 filename.img

Are there special options needed to decompress unxz back to .img with partitions? Or please show me the direct command that pipe into dd ?

Best Regards,
David

xzcat filename.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb

Regards,

Thank you very much!
David

Hi Robert,
I found using xzcat decompress pipe to dd is very slow. Probably decompress it before dd is a faster way.

Best Regards,
David

I found there are other dd-like tools, such as dcfldd, dc3dd, etc. Would you like to give me some suggestions that which is a better tool, or a faster one? Or some advice that to improve the flashing?

Best Regards,
David

Hi @dzhou dd is an exact bit by bit copy… Anything faster will be skipping sections, or optimizing the writing of the drive.

Either use dd (as a low level tool), or balena-etcher as a fancy gui…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your input and help.

Best Regards,
David

Hi Robert,

I found that dd with 8K buffer can write at 19.7MB/s. Save 50s over 3.8G image. (The one on Octavo Dev board with sanDisk emmc 32G)
I checked Kingston EMMC04G-M627 on BBBw, it is a little slower. But Datasheet indicates it can go 50MB/s writing with 8Bits databus. I guess BBBw is using 4Bits Databus. If so, not sure it can use 8Bits with an update of driver?

Best Regards,
David

This is incorrect, and common misconception… It’s running on a 8-bit bus.

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Sorry, I slipped my memory a little bit. I checked again that the emmc is 8bits:

pinctrl-0 = <&emmc_pins>;
bus-width = <8>;

The SD card seems 4Bits databust:

Device: OMAP SD/MMC
Manufacturer ID: 3
OEM: 5344
Name: SC32G
Bus Speed: 48000000
Mode : SD High Speed (50MHz)
Rd Block Len: 512
SD version 3.0
High Capacity: Yes