UV-C LED light strip, part #1672-LSB1-12G08-UV02-00-ND

Hello,

Can you help me to know if your product 1672-LSB1-12G08-UV02-00-ND from New Energy creates any light visible to the naked eye? And if so, describe its intensity and color?

Thanks much,

WorkforceChairman

Hello,

The wavelengths listed in the LED Module - UV-C Linear datasheet are 275-280nm for part number LSB1-12G08-UV01-00 and 280-285nm for part number LSB1-12G08-UV02-00. No graphical representation is given in that document, but the individual LEDs used in these strips are given as part number XBT-3535-UV .

Taking a part number from that list and looking at the datasheet, we can confirm that no ‘human eye’ wavelengths–starting at 380nm, for example–are emitted by these LEDs. Here is the datasheet for part number XBT-3535-UV-A130-CD275-01 , and there is a wavelength graph on page 06. Also, the two wavelength shift graphs on page 05 are relevant since they show no significant change over the given current and temperature range.

Also, a typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 380 to 750 nanometers. This part is untraviolet and should not be visible to the human eye with a wavelength of 280nm ~ 285nm.

The wavelengths of visible light are:
Violet: 380–450 nm (688–789 THz frequency)
Blue: 450–495 nm
Green: 495–570 nm
Yellow: 570–590 nm
Orange: 590–620 nm
Red: 620–750 nm (400–484 THz frequency)

Thanks Bill.

Could you next help me to see which components I would buy from DigiKey in order to set this same LED strip into a fashion wherein I could plug it into a normal household outlet (with minimum 8’ cord and plug)? I’d also want an analog or digital timer on the cord (turn dial or otherwise) wherein I could activate it for a set amount of time (5-30 minutes) and have automatic shutoff after the time expiration?

-Chad

Be advised that fluorescent lamp technologies are currently on the order of 10x more efficient at UV-C production than LEDs. Germicidal lamps in form factors that fit standard luminaires (as well as purpose-built luminaires for germicidal applications) are available from a variety of specialty retailers.

Pairing such equipment with a common plug-in light timer would likely be a more efficacious and cost-effective approach than building something similar from currently-available LED strips.

Yes, thank you Rick.

Unless I could find a fluorescent as flat as an LED strip, I have to stick with the latter for my application to work.

Whatever you end up doing please keep safety in mind. I have no experience with LEDs for UV-C applications but I do know that many of the older high UV-C lamp technologies can be dangerous to humans. This is why EPROM erasers always had a safety interlock to make sure the lamp never turned on when the housing was open.

I did look at possible combinations of parts to build the setup that you need, but I didn’t see a solution that was a simple plug-and-play option, and certainly nothing that could compare with the price and availability of ready-to-use products on the market. If you search the Internet for “UV Sterilization Strip” or a similar keyword phrase, you’ll find some that are equally thin/flat and also flexible. Some of these also have circuitry on the strip that eliminates the need for a separate driver module, and the power supply (wall adapter) may be included.

For part numbers LSB1-12G08-UV01-00 and LSB1-12G08-UV02-00, the UV-C Linear Datasheet suggests the need for a driver and optics (LEDiL Violet 12up UV), and unless drivers are sold as a complete assembly that is associated with a kit or specific product, they don’t usually have a wall plug. That needs to be added. We don’t have a simple timer to insert into that sequence of parts, either.

These New Energy UV strips appear to be marketed for OEM and prototyping customers, but not so much for the consumer market. I’m not sure what your application involved, but as a comparison, I purchased 4-Bulb T5 grow light modules, recently, and added generic plug-in timers rather than designing a more complex arrangement with LED strips, drivers, etc., because a ready-to-use solution was more practical at the time. A fully assembled UV strip kit with a power supply may be what you need in this case, too.