LIP is short for Lithium Iron Phosphate or LIFePO4 Cells and Batteries.
Lithium iron phosphate batteries are rechargeable and most suitible for energy storage applications and use for motive power (electric vehicle) applications. The Key Features with LIP Batteries is the lithium iron phosphate chemistry, which performs exceptionaly when looking at cycle and shelf life. Depending on specific design they can be optimized for either high-energy density or high power.
Often when selecting a battery for a specific application you will take into consideration factors such as cost, weight, size, temperature range, maintenance, and lifetime. When looking at typical batteries this is often a key feature that you need to look at and others may suffer as there is no optimal solution. This is not the case when looking at LiFePO4.
Despite initial high costs LIP products often provide a better cost of ownership over their life time. They also often function better in extreme environments while having a longer useable life, easing the cost of maintenance.
Like other specific battery chemistries LIP batteries have specific charge specifications and for full life and safe charging you must use an LIP specified Battery Charger.
Features of using LIP Products
• High power
• Fast charging
• Longer cycle life than lithium Ion and lithium polymer
• Flat discharge curve for maximum power
• Superior thermal and chemical stability
• Wide temperature range
• Excellent replacement SLA/AGM batteries
• High charge/discharge efficiency
• Enhanced safety
• Low operational/ownership cost
• More than 2000 discharge/charge cycles
• Battery management system with balancing for enhanced safety and longevity
• <50% weight of a comparable lead-acid battery
Possible Applications for LIP Products
- Solar energy storage
- Industrial energy storage
- Residential energy storage
- Motive power [electric vehicles (EV)]
- Semi-traction (sweepers and scrubbers)
- Buses, trams, and more
- AGV (automated guided vehicles)
- Personal mobility (wheelchair, electric bikes, and scooters)
- Starter battery for motorcycles