AMS-AS5600 Contactless Potentiometer

Hello, I am working on a project that requires position feedback. I chose the AS5600 for this task. To start with I used the circuit that was provided in the manual (option B) which consists of a connector, 2 capacitors and the 5600 IC. For some reason I can’t get the unit working in the analog mode. I get 5v on the output at all times regardless of magnet position. I got this value before the magnet was placed anywhere near the IC. I’ve moved the magnet away from the IC with same results. Important note I should mention is that the magnet is a lot stronger then what was specified in the data sheet.

Magnet spec:

Dimensions: 1/4" od x 1/8" id x 1/4" thick
Material: NdFeB, Grade N42
Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)
Magnetization Direction: Diametrical
Surface Field: 5299 Gauss
Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
BHmax: 42 MGOe

Is this simply a problem of too much magnet or something else I’m missing?

Regards

Hello @ROVguy,
Sorry for the delay in getting in touch. Since I have not worked with this chip I have forwarded your question to my Engineer and Product Manager who work with AMS to see if we can get an answer. As soon as I hear back i will update this post.
Thank you
-Robert

Great thanks

Hi ROVguy

Did you make the range programming as explained on page 23 in the datasheet?

Cheers,
heke++

@ROVguy

Sorry for the long delay. I finally heard back from our FAE. Here is the comments we received.

Do you need Zero Position Programming for your application? Because to use the chip in analog mode only, it’s not necessary to short PGO Pin to GND, you have to leave it floating. Furthermore it doesn’t look like the magnet you are using is that strong that the sensor will be fully saturated. How big is the air gap? Did you try to replace the sensor?

Please let me know if there are further questions and I can keep in touch.
-Robert