Application Note for Allegro A89301 BLDC driver

I am trying to use A89301 and am getting into rotor “lock” error. The datasheet is insufficient. It refers to an Application Note for the device, but I am unable to get it. It is some secret document?

1 Like

Hi @surabibio,

Hmmm, good question. I couldn’t find it either. I have put in a request on where to find it. I’ll let you know when I hear back. Best regards.

Since I’ve used the Allegro “Technical Resources” search engine a lot over that last decades I took a look. This result may be what you’re looking for:
https://www.allegromicro.com/en/insights-and-innovations?type=Motor+Drivers&topic=Application+Note&q=A89301+

Hi Paul, thanks for your effort.

This link is an error. This application note is for an older device A3930. I am trying to use their “Ultra-Quiet, Code-Free, FOC Sensorless BLDC Motor Controller” family. For this I could not get any other document other than the datasheet. Even the factory default EEPROM values have to be read from the device using the I2C interface!. It is nowhere publicly documented.

BR,

Ravi Ganesh

Bummer :frowning:

Allegro and Digi-Key are both great companies so I’m pretty sure @David_1528 will be able to get this sorted out for you.

And the A89301 and the just launched A89306 (400Hz RPM) are great devices. Only Allegro wants to target select customers which their innovation.

I was able to get the invaluable Application Note. Thanks Paul, David and Digikey.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like

Can you send me an Application Note,Thank you

David should get you this. Meanwhile I thought this bitfield to C snippet file for the A89301 device might be useful. I hope Allegro includes such tools in their downloads in future to make life easy for us engineers.

Hi surabibio, Where did you get the Excel spreadsheet? Have you evaluated it completely? Would you mind sharing it?

Thanks,
Kaushalyas

Hi Paul,

I am also looking for the application note for the A89301.
Can you help me to get a copy?

Thanks
Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

I have sent it to you.

Best regards,
David

Got it. Thank you David.

Hi Paul

I could not find the A89301 application note either. Could you share this document with me?

Thanks
Halit

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not the person who obtained the data sheet, by mentioning @David_1528 he should see this and help you out.

Here is the Application Note. (Hope I am not offending anybody by uploading this document)

And also the excel sheet I created to visualise the bit map fields (use it at your own risk)

A89301_Application_Note.pdf (3.0 MB)

A89301.txt (40.1 KB)
PS: rename the file as A89301.xlsm as macro enabled excel is not uploading.

Thank you surabibio

Hi,

Is there anywhere else to get the GUI software? I recently purchased the evaluation board from digikey and need it to get going!

I have signed up and requested via Allegro site, but haven’t heard back yet.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi,
I have the same question about this software.

My story is slightly different - I just bought the IC and make own PCB. The reason behind was that the evaluation board was not available (I bough it on early December 2020).
I was looking for very quiet driver for my big BLDC fan.

After several hours of unsuccessful tries I sent an email to Allegro company with question for the Application Note. After 2 working days I got an answer that “[supporteurope@allegromicro.com] is aimed to support only the inquiries coming from professional e-mail address” (unfortunately it’s a private project, and I cannot use the professional address due to internal company rules).

Finally I found the doc on this page, (thank you very much for publishing this doc!!!) - without that it’s just impossible to run the IC.

Why Im looking for GUI? Because still (after another 7days) I have an issue with BEMF, which cause an issue and stops motor :confused:
Is it worth to play with IC? - yes - it’s very quiet, as they promised. Previously Ive used some cheap driver (extremely noisy due to trapezoidal signal), and FOC driver from Infineon (a little noisy and limited to 24V). On the same rpm speed 89301 is just non-auditable - only small noise from moving air!

But the A89301 configuration is a nightmare! The parameters descriptions are too short and somehow misleading (especially there is no clear picture which parameters influence in open-loop, which on close-loop scenario).

I managed to get the software from Allegro, and have my motor up and running.

Even with the GUI, I’m finding the configuration confusing. I’m mainly having issues with start up i.e. getting the motor up to speed fast enough and consistently.

Is there anyone out there with experience with this IC who wants to help? :smiley:

Also Eustachy - if it’s not against the rules I can send you the GUI?