Bridgelux Thrive Strip BXEB-TL-L1120Z-2765S4000-A-C3

Digikey has the 5000K variant. The Thrive variant (6500K) seems to be much better for higher natural light response. Will this version be available?

Hi Squilly,

Welcome to the Forum.

It doesn’t appear that there are any immediate plans to carry the 6500K variant, but I can inquire about that with the people responsible for this product line. We can often special order products we do not stock, but there would be a lead time and minimum order quantity associated with such orders. I believe that for this product line, it would probably be at least 160 pieces.

If you are interested in pursuing this, let us know.

well I don’t need that many……can you provide samples from Bridgelux?..…in the horticultural space the high CRI of these LEDs is pretty interesting.

do you have thermal management application notes for these strips? do you know the result of using the higher Kelvin controllers with the lower (5K) range that you do stock?

Thanks,

Brian

ok……Digikey offers the WI-FI controller for 6500K LEDs ‎976-BXCS-12Z-N2P-B1-A-ND‎ but you don’t offer the 6500K LEDs so maybe you could ask your buyer about that disconnect and see if they will order the 6500K strip??

thank you,

brian

Good point about the 6500K controller availability. I will mention that incongruency.

Regarding your other points, here are a few comments:

As I understand their characteristics, both the 5000K and the 6500K versions have nearly identical CRI specifications (CRI ~= 98). The 6500K versions just have a wider CCT range. I would imagine that if one used a controller designed for CCT up to 6500K on an LED strip with 5000K LEDs, that it would merely skew the actual CCT value lower than the programmed CCT value. As one approached the coolest CCT setting (setting it for 6500K) it would be off by the most (about 5000K instead), and as one approached the warmest value, it would be the most accurate (2700K in both cases).

Regarding thermal issues, I found this document, which may be helpful. On page 17, they state the following:

Product Design Considerations – Thermal Management
These products generally do not need heatsinking like other products with higher power densities do. A high powered COB might, as an example, use 20W of power concentrated on a substrate that is less than a square inch. Even the highest powered Square Module when using 80W of power, already spreads that power over 125 square inches. The density is not comparable from 20W/sq-in to 0.65W/sq-in. As such most linear and square module products do not require thermal interface materials as do COBs. That being said, in the design process, all the maximum temperature ratings, as listed in the respective datasheets, needs to be maintained and all designs should be checked using appropriate thermocouples and temperature readers.

right….that controller idea was my conclusion as well….ordered it that way.

bought a heat sink anyway since I need something to hold up the strip.

thanks for your help….enjoy the year end holidays!

Best,

Brian