Capacitor capacitance increase

I’ve been doing research into finding a suitable replacement for the capacitors for my original xbox (UHM0J332MPD) the site says there is a 6.3ZLH3300MEFC10X23, but according to the datasheet that is not a size made in that series. This series seems to line up with the original requirements, is there any harm in upping the capacitance from 3300 to 3900? I am new to this all together and have done lots of research but could use a little more professional guidance

Welcome to the forum.

It is almost always OK to increase the capacitance and/or voltage value of electrolytic capacitors. Most circuits would work way better with values 1000 times higher for both values.

Even in the rare circumstances, maybe one in a million circuit designs, where the higher values make the system not work as intended, no harm is done to the circuit by trying higher values.

Of course, I’m sure at least some or the billions of circuit designs with electrolytic capacitors that have been made in the past century would have a problem. But that’s like worrying about getting struck by lightning when out walking on a sunny January day in New England. :wink:

2 Likes

I appreciate that, just don’t want to fry it, did alot of research into, lead spacing, impedance, size and ripple current trying to find a suitable replacement. Well in that case, I think that I will try either the 3900 or the 4700 because that one actually exceeds the rated ripple current of the oem parts and an upgrade would be nice. I just have to make sure the slight increase in outer diameter will still fit on the board.

1 Like

Greetings,

6.3ZLH3300MEFC10X23 is a valid part number, however as it is currently available to order and not in stock, minimum order quantities and manufacturer standard lead times would apply. In this case of wanting only one that isn’t really a viable option. We do carry a couple of similar capacitors from Panasonic. Below is a snip of the comparison of the original part and the suggested alternatives.

For the complete comparison please see:
Capacitors | Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors | DigiKey
Please review the datasheets to ensure the alternative will work for your application.

This has been the hard part because I’m not an expert, but from my research I need the ripple current to be 2.8A @100kHz or higher and impedance to be 12 or lower the other specs match perfectly.

Is this game console a valuable collectors item?

If it’s simply that you want to make the system work again then keep in mind how consumer prodcut circuits are designed and built.

The designer of that portion of the circuit came up with minimum specifications and privately published them for purchasing/manufacturing to follow. If the designer’s specs said 2.0A minimum @ 100 kHz, purchasing/manufacturing would search for the least expensive component that meets the minimum spec. It is very possible that the lowest cost part in the specific quantity needed on the specific date needed, had a spec of 2.8A, far better then needed so that’s what they bought.

So when my goal is to just get something working well again, I don’t sweat the oddball specs and just try the closest match I can economically obtain. If it turns out the designer really needed the higher rating, than almost certainly the worst that will happen is the new capacitor will fail in fewer years than the original capacitor.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m brand new to this and just don’t want to mess anything up so i appreciate all the advise and information i can get.

Also what about the impedance, seems significantly lower to me. Would that cause any issue with the current flowing through?

@sluggerof92

It would depend on how much lower of a value you are seeing.
The options I see that would fit the same footprint look like they are 20mΩ instead of the 12mΩ for the UHM0J332MPD.
Example item.
P122349-ND

I would think that this increase would not cause too much of an issue for the overall circuit.

Otherwise to get an option that would have 12mΩ the overall footprint would be different.
P12373-ND

same lead spacing by taller and has an increased diameter.

When doing straight functional repair of ordinary consumer products, I never consider any capacitor specs other than, type, capacitance, voltage and size.

All the rest of the specs for capacitors are very rarely important in any basic consumer product. I’ve never even heard legends where the lack of meeting one of the unusual specs causes extra damage to the already damaged consumer product. (at worst it doesn’t fix it)

If after replacing the part, the product still does not work, then I would find datasheets for the surrounding integrated circuits and see if any of the data sheets calls out an unusual capacitor requirement.