Configure GPIO in Uboot/MLO at Power ON in BeagleBoneBlack

Hello,

I’m trying to configure P8_10 of beaglebone black in uboot as LOW. Have successfully done that by configuring the gpio in /board/ti/am335x/board.c in the function,
spl_start_uboot().
The pin by default stays HIGH. After compiling new uboot I have been able to configure it LOW.
The problem is that the pin goes LOW only after few milli seconds. I want the GPIO Pin to stay LOW always on Power ON without any glitch.
Does anyone have any idea how this can be achieved?

Thanks.

@Sohan2017, You’ll also have a small glitch between U-Boot -> Kernel, even with gpio-hog enabled on that pin. In your current design with P8_10 it would be best to utilize the pin’s default state (low) to achieve what you want by using an invertor logic.

Regards,

Yes, but the problem is that I’m using P8_09,P8_10,P8_11,P8_12 as gpio and want them to be low on boot-up. P8_11 and P8_12 stay low on boot up so using a invertor logic will make 09,10 low but 11,12 high.Any other possible solution?? Tried making P8_11 and P8_12 high on boot up but same result there is a glitch.

Thanks a lot.

Well that is definitely more complex then your original post. Take a look at the BeagleBone Black Wireless design, we used a multi pin voltage isolator with an enable pin between the am335x and wl1835 to ensure no signal glitches too we were ready to connect to the wl1835.

Regards,

Currently I’m editing the file board/ti/am335x/board.c. In that I have configured the pin in spl_start_uboot() function. Is there any other way to atleast reduce the glitch time even more? or somewhere in X-loader?
Also the uboot is getting loaded from MicroSD. I would want to copy it to eMMc so that I can get the actual time as I have to press SW2 everytime I boot up.

Also I wanted to know that is it the hardware limitation that the Pin P8_10 and P8_09 goes High on boot-up? or it gets configured High through X-loader?

Thanks a lot.

Doing it in SPL is as early as you can do it…

Use the same instructions you used to copy MLO/u-boot.img to the microSD, it’s the same dd offset.

The default “reset” state of P8_10(U6) and P8_09(T6) is Pull-Up…

The X-Loader project is long dead, it’s functionality got returned to U-Boot, if you are still using X-Loader, you have other issues to deal with.

Regards,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
Just one last query,

The default “reset” state of P8_10(U6) and P8_09(T6) is Pull-Up…

That means that it is the am335x processor’s default configuration that sets it to Pull-Up which cannot be changed on user level?

Thanks a lot.

Correct, at “power-on” the default state of those pins is “High” on the am335x… You can change it to low in u-boot, but at the point it was already “high” from power on.

Thus if you want a guaranteed known state at startup on the am335x, you will have to use either an invertors or an isolators as mentioned.

Regards,