Do RF tx modules need to be FCC certified?

Consider a transmitter such as QAM-TX2-433-ND. Does it need independent FCC Part 15 certification? What about CE and other countries? The datasheet for this (Digi link broken) and similar do not state that they are certified.

Hello michaellandersonee,

I was able to locate a current link to the datasheet, and they do mention this in the datasheet:

Hereby, RF Solutions Limited declares that the radio equipment type defined within this document is in compliance with
Directive 2014/53/EU. The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address:

1 Like

I have also requested that we have the datasheet link updated on our website, so that should be fixed within the next few days as well.

1 Like

Compliance with part 15 regulations is required of most any product advertised or sold in the US, though folks who produce things such as canned peaches or rubber chickens will often roll the dice and skip the EMC test lab…

In the case of your example part however, if I’m not mistaken the 433 MHz band on which it operates allows for some unlicensed use in Europe/ITU region 2, though not so in the Americas/ITU region 1. As such, it’s not a thing one would want to incorporate into a product one wanted to offer for sale to the general public in jurisdictions governed by the FCC.

As already pointed out by others you can’t use 433MHz in the North America, 315MHz is the band with similar regulations in North America.

Pre-certified transmitters reduce FCC part15 testing costs by about one half to one third.

Part 15 compliance is needed for most US-advertised or sold products, yet people sometimes avoid the EMC test lab.

Your sample part’s 433 MHz spectrum enables some unauthorized usage in Europe, but not in Americas. So, it’s not something you’d want to include in a product sold in FCC-governed areas.