EEPROM is internal or external for BBB

Hi Robert,

On BeagleBone Black System Reference Manual SRM document,
Section 8.2 EEPROM, each cape has its own EEPROM containing data that will allow software to identify the board.
Section 5.3.2 32 KB EEPROM. A single 32KB EEPROM is provided on I2C0 that holds the board information. This information includes board name, serial number, and revision information.

Please help me to clarify myself that the bootloader uses the internal 32K EEPROM for board name, rev, etc.

Thank you,
David

Hi @dzhou, on AM335x parts, the EEPROM is external, on OSD335x parts it’s internal.

Here is where u-boot read’s the eeprom:

Regards,

Thank you very much!
Best Regards,

David

Hi @dzhou,

Variants of the OSD335x,
OSD335x-BASE – No EEPROM. If you need an EEPROM then you will need to add an external EEPROM.
OSD335x-SM – Same functionality in a smaller package and adds EEPROM.
OSD335x C-SiP – Same functionality but adds eMMC Flash, MEMs Oscillator, and EEPROM.

Hi Jakthree,

Thank you for your information.

I checked the BBBw dev board, OSD335x-BASE is used. I believe the BASE version is in our design, too. The EEPROM is external: do you mean outside of OSD335x-BASE “SiP” chip? Or it is external to AM335x TI chip, but inside the OSD335x- BASE chip or package.

From OSD335x-SM, OSD335x-C-SiP, I believe, as you mean, the EEPROM is completely external to OSD335x-BASE package.

So I guess OSD335x C-SiP have cost advantage comparing to OSD335x-BASE, which has to add EEPROM and eMMC flash externally. Am I right?

Best Regards,

David

Hi dzhou,

I am not an expert on the OSD335x SiP chip. I used the OSD3358-BASE on my custom board and added an external EEPROM because the -BASE does not have an internal EEPROM.

There may be a cost advantage in using the -SM or -C-SiP but I didn’t do any cost comparisons.

I hope that helps.
Regards,

Hi Jakthree,

Thank you for your valuable information and help!
Best Regards,
David