Ember Smart Mug Charger Repairs

Ember smart mugs are a neat piece of technology that can maintain your beverage at a constant temperature, but the spring pin contacts used in their chargers are prone to wearing out over time. if this happens, your charger won’t make firm contact with your Ember mug’s charging port and the mug won’t recharge properly.

Fortunately, you can easily replace these contacts yourself with only basic household soldering tools and a bit of know-how. YouTube has several videos detailing how to make this repair, which can get your expensive smart mug back up and running in short order. While I have not completed the repair myself, many videos online have shown the repair using Harwin’s spring contact. 952-3127-1-ND.

Here is one video that shows how to get to your contacts to see if that is the issue.

UPDATE: A few folks who have attempted this repair report that Preci-Dip spring contact 1212-1847-ND works and fits better than the contact recommended in the how-to video given below. You may wish to try that contact first for your own repair.

Hi, I tried to fix my ember chasing coster with the Harwin (3.5 mm tall) pins listed and found them too short. I measured the old ones at ~4.5mm so I’m now going to try a longer pins like the 1212-1847-ND (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/preci-dip/90023-AS/5451870)

Good luck

Let us know how that works! I’m sorry the original pins proved insufficient for you. If there’s any other questions you’d like help with, don’t be afraid to let us know.

1212-1847-ND works perfectly! Thanks!

3 Likes

1212-1847-ND worked well for me too. Unfortunately, I originally bought the wrong pins after seeing the youtube video directly and not this forum post. Thanks @Christophoclese and @Flux for the recommended part. So second order took care of me.

Just a note: On a whim on my second order, I also ordered a similar one at the same time with a Through pin or guide pin (not sure of the exact terminology), but it is longer than the original pin so would not sit flush with the board. There is so much plastic around this, there is no concern that there will be lateral pressure requiring that pin. The flush mount 1212-1847-ND works like a champ. Mug is charging now.

3 Likes