Filter for Static discharge in audio equipment

I have static discharge happening in audio equipment. It happens from tube preamps and a bass amp line out. The tube preamps have been rebuilt and I’ve experienced the issue at other locations. It seems to be happening through the output cords from the preamps. I tried a ground wire, electrostatic mesh and ferrite clip-on noise filters. Nothing has eliminated the static. I came across the Transko ceramic filters on Digi key’s site. #LTC455EW.
Is any one familiar with this issue and how to correct it?
Is the ceramic filter a possible solution?
Thanks for your help,
Christopher

The best cure for static discharge problems is to eliminate the source of the static electricity.

Often adding just a little humidity to an environment will completely eliminate frequent static electricity buildup and discharge cycles.

Another excellent option is to have better grounding of the equipment housings to prevent static from entering the internal circuitry.

With thousands of volts in a static electric discharge, trying to filter out it’s effects is an order of magnitude more difficult than preventing it.

Hi @christophermacor ,

PaulHutch has some great points. Anti-static products may also help, these may or may not be safe on electronics, but are usually safe to use around them to create an anti-static environment: Click here for options.

Burning in the tubes may also help get rid of static noise the tubes are making: https://forum.digikey.com/t/burn-in-electronic-components/2801

It may also be faulty components such as capacitors on the board causing the noise. The other thing to note is being that stereo cables have 3 conductors and are balanced, these have a ‘noise-reducing’ ground wire unlike the two-conductor mono cables, be sure to use balanced cables.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I’m understanding that the best solution is prevention.
I’ve heard there are dry sprays.
Does anyone know of these and have a brand suggestion?
Thanks again,
Christopher

Hi @christophermacor ,

That is a good point, electronics cleaner spray may help reduce static, as it is a conductor when it is applied, but dries very quickly. I’d recommend doing a flux cleaning first if this has not already been done. It is very important to remove any and all flux, as a little flux on a circuit board can cause noise, and complete circuit malfunction.

Click here for Flux Removers
-These are usually specified for a certain type of flux removal, and for certain PCB substrates, please review datasheet specifications. Make sure the circuit is de-energized, apply the remover on the board and scrub with a brush, and then do a spray down to wash away all flux residues.

Click here for popular (fast-dry) Electronics Cleaners
Click here for all Electronics Cleaners
-These are usually specified for a certain type of removal, and for certain PCB substrates, please review datasheet specifications. Make sure the circuit is de-energized, apply the remover on the board and scrub with a brush, and then do a spray down to wash away all residues.