Help needed to use drivers of Wand-board dual in Ubuntu minimal root file-system

Interesting… so in Ubuntu, xorg can’t figure out which is the 2D only vs the 3D only core…

Regards,

How to fix that?

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi Robert,

If this is a new found issue, and takes time to figure out, please suggest a desktop package that is functionally proven, so that I can reformat the sd card and install that for mean while.

Thanks.

Hi @ayyappanmuthu

Use my Debian 11.x image on the page, then run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install bbb.io-xfce4-desktop
sudo cp -v /etc/bbb.io/templates/fbdev.xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I can login into xfce with those setting…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Just noticed on the page that Ubuntu was removed and Debian was updated from 10.9 to 11.
Also kernel versions 4.x are removed.

Is the current 5.4 kernel version same as the previous 5.4 kernel version (or) is there any patches added and do I have to take the 5.4 kernel also from the current page?

Please reply.

Thanks for your effort.

It’s a git repo, any changes you can directly see in the 5.4 branch…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Now only I got time to use the debian 11 as I was doing my exams.

The debian 11 UI for login screen was up and I can see that in my HDMI display.
But when I connected my USB Keyboard or USB mouse to the wandboard I am not able to give inputs.

In minicom I see the following log when i connect my USB key board to wandboard.

debian@arm:~$ [  213.236936] usb 1-1: new low-speed USB device number 4 using ci_hdrc
[  213.405590] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a2c, idProduct=6004, bcdDevice= 1.10
[  213.413898] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  213.421123] usb 1-1: Product: USB Keyboard
[  213.425337] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: SEMICO

And when I tried to check keyboard got power by pressing CAPSLOCK/NUMLOCK the led in keyboard is not glowing when the keyboard is connected to wandboard but glowing when key board connected to my laptop.

Is it like

1. Wandboard is not having sufficient power to drive keyboard or
  2. power manager in debian has not configured properly or
  3. any other issues?

For your Notice : Most probably case 1) might not be the issue as with minimal software of Ubuntu earlier I was able to use the USB keyboard.

Please suggest what can I do. If you need any kind of log I shall take that to debug.

Thanks.

Hi @ayyappanmuthu

Try sticking a usb 2.0 hub on the WandBoard… I really only have Logitech based keyboard/mice to test with, the keyboard/mice config is a direct copy of what debian ships by defaut.

Regards,

Hi Robert,

I am using usb 2.0 port hub( iball piano 423). Mouse is Logitech wireless mouse it is also 2.0 port specification.
Will there be any specific driver for usb devices like these?
Please help me to diagnose / deduce / corner the root cause of this problem was due to either
it’s a wandboard hardware or
any software related configuration or
driver support.

Please reply.

Thanks.

I’m not currently aware of any issues with the USB port on imx6 based devices… What is the rating of the power supply you are currently using to power the WandBoard?

Regards,

Output of power supply is 5v and 3A
Input is 100-240v , 0.3A , 50-60Hz

That should be fine, i’d expect that work…

Yes, few months back as mentioned in my previous post, I was able to use keyboard in command prompt of Ubuntu minimal rootfs.

Do I have to do any configuration or install any packages/driver in board if possible through minicom?

Do you need any more log to confirm that?

Thanks.

And I have taken the following lsusb -t log

1. Log taken before connecting USB keyboard
debian@arm:~$ lsusb -t
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ci_hdrc/1p, 480M
  1. log taken after connecting USB keyboard
debian@arm:~$ lsusb -t
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ci_hdrc/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

Is the above driver usbhid enough to support the keyboard?

Please reply.

Thanks.

Looks good, if you have an lcd plugged in over hdmi, i’d fully expect to see output change over the video display…

If your expecting to see your keyboard attached to the wandboard, to echo over the serial port, that’s not the way, the Root File system is setup for…

Regards,

Sorry Robert, I am not getting clearly what you say. Please say what shall I try to solve this issue.

Hi @ayyappanmuthu with your usb keyboard plugged into the Wandboard, are you seeing any activity on the HDMI based display plugged into the Wandboard?

Regards,

No, I am not seeing any changes in the hdmi display when giving inputs through keyboard.

Hi @ayyappanmuthu retry with the v5.15.x branch, looking at the build on my Wandboard, that was version i lasted tested for you…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

I tried with 5.15.x branch (long term) with debian 11 minimal rootfs. Still I could not give any inputs through keyboard.

But I had back up of 4.14.x branch and debian 10 which was posted in your old web page.

I am able to give inputs with key board connected to wandboard with combination of 4.14.x + debian 10 minimal rootfs even now.

I have two doubts now.

Can I use 4.14.x with debian 11? is there any known compatibility issues?

(or)

If any compatibility issues were exposed with above combination, can I install xfce desktop package as you said like below

sudo apt update
sudo apt install bbb.io-xfce4-desktop
sudo cp -v /etc/bbb.io/templates/fbdev.xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

to the debian 10 minimal rootfs which i have that backup?

Please give your suggestion.

Thanks.