How to get display and wifi working on PICO-PI-IMX7

Hi all,

So I got Ubuntu 18.04 working (accessing through the serial console) on the Pico Pi IMX7 which is part of the Android Things starter kit by following this guide.

I have been trying to figure out how to get Wifi and/or the display working, and would love any help. The wifi chip is supposed to be a Broadcom BCM4339 and the display is the 800x600 one in the kit.

I’m fairly comfortable with my way around Linux, but don’t have much experience with drivers or hardware modules, so would be happy even if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

1 Like

@catalyste, we are still trying to figure out the BCM4339/Pico PI IMX7 with mainline linux combination. Have they finally released a full schematic for this board?

I thought the lcd came up, last I checked it. Sadly my board is in the lab, so i can’t test it till monday.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply! I don’t know if the schematic has been released though.

The lcd turns on and displays the bootloader splash screen but then stays on with just a black screen once it boots. Am I missing something?

@catalyste,

Hello…I have a PICO-PI-IMX7 too. I have followed the instructions on the eewiki site, also. I have been unable to get the WiFi chip up and running.

Have you come across any fixes for this idea? My board has an AP6335 unlike some of the other PICO-PI boards. Anyway, I have been trying at points in my time to get WiFi up and running on this board.

Seth

P.S. I am going to follow the instructions from the eewiki and start from scratch again. Oh and I think, if this is even a thing, that the Linux Kernel has “kicked” out the chip that I have for compliance. I used to receive errors that said that if I did not update the maintainers that my chip may not be used in the future updates on the kernel.

Yup, looks like they have one on the TechNexion site.

They also have an Ubuntu 18.04 image there that has a working display. Though it immediately kernel panics for me after showing me two cute Linux penguins… Can probably copy the drivers onto a different distro though. Don’t know if WiFi works, but betting it would too.

I couldn’t get their prebuilt image to not segfault, but when I built their kernel from source it worked. I used their tn-imx_4.9.88_2.0.0_ga-test branch, so it’s pretty old. The display comes on and works fine, as does audio. The camera module and WiFi does not work. Though I’m a nub so maybe I just misconfigured something.

Edit: WiFi works if you load the module bcmdhd.

@Sydius,

So, where did you find this bcmdhd module? Is it available from their community or company page?

Seth

@silver2row, the bcmdhd is an ‘closed’ source dump from broadcom for support of android and other systems. You can find varying versions online, the master version is only provided from broadcom…

Regards,

Hello @RobertCNelson,

Thank you for this background info.

Seth