MOV lightning strike tolerance

Hi,
I am using CVQ275K10BL1 MOV in my design to protect against 2k voltage strikes.
How many strikes this MOV can absorb before it fails? There was no such spec in the datasheet.
Thanks

Hello Kaveh,

Iā€™m sorry to say but there is no indication on MOVs on how many times they can endure the surge spikes they are rated for. So this one being rated for 3.5kA it seems it should be able to handle the spikes of 2k but it does not have a cycle life like a switch would have as to how many times it can handle it. If you would like I could try to go through our product management team to see if they can get some more info on this part for you in regards to that.

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks Irfan. Sure.
There should be some testing along that done in the factory. Otherwise we should do this test here ourselves and see how many times it takes for the MOV to break.
Please let me know if you can provide any such information. Much appreciated.

Ok. I have reached out to try to verify more thoroughly on this and will get back to you once I have some feedback.

Regards,

1 Like

Hello Kaveh,

Some information we did receive back from the manufacturer on this. Here is what we got:

We have the following graph related to number of pulses vs peak value of the pulse (pulse rating curves) in our data sheets for CVQ series:

Link to TDS is here:

1 Like

Thank you. It was very helpful.