Need product advice for a DC TO TYPE-C ADAPTER

We have a powerbank that should supply our LED lights. The LED light has a 5.5/2.1MM DC connecter and requires 12V 44W, that we want to connect to this Powerbank USB-C PD 45W 15000 with USB-C output: 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/2.25A (45W max) (Sandberg Powerbank USB-C PD 45W 15000 (420-66) - Sandberg A/S)

We tried this adapter: 1738-FIT0784-ND
but we guess it doesn’t supply 12V when connecting.

We appreciate any help. Thank you!

We also need an on/off switch, but it doesn’t have to be the same dong.

Hello,
Welcome to the Digikey tech forum. I’m not familiar with your powerbank but looking at the specs this device output for USB C is 12 volts at 3 amps which is 36 watts and your LED light needs 12 volts at 44 watts. Seems you don’t have the power to run your LED’s from this power bank unless I’m missing something here ?

Thank you for your answer.

That looks about right. We haven’t used this powerbank before and I was just looking at the 44W, not the 3 amps at 12V.

Can I connect another powerbank with USB C to the LEDs with DC with an adapter, or do I need a V converter as well?

To get anything greater than 5V from a USB power supply requires that the devices on both ends are USB PD (power delivery) compliant.

Since the LED light does not have a USB-C connector it can’t be USB PD compliant because PD requires extra connections for bi-directional data transfer between the two devices.

1 Like

Hi anna1,

@PaulHutch is correct. In layman’s terms, power banks and USB power supplies which are capable of supplying higher than 5V must communicate with the device they are connected to, (as per USB-PD spec Paul mentions) to discover what voltage the device is capable of handling. If it does not respond appropriately, the power bank/power supply will only provide a 5V source, and at 3A or less.

Your LED light is not designed to communicate via USB-C, so it cannot tell the power bank to raise its voltage. Note also, that if it could tell the power bank to raise its voltage level, the bank would only last for a little over an hour before it needed a re-charge.

You need a smart device which can communicate to the USB-C power bank and tell it to provide 12V. Something like this might do. (note that this one has a 5.5mm/2.5mm plug)