PN 2810793 - Correct wiring

I am looking to amplify a 0-1V signal from sensor 277-12417-ND into a 0-10V signal. My sensor has a (+) and (-) signal wire coming off it. What is the correct wiring schematic for using this unit - specifically, do I need to use a shunt resistor (shown in image attached) or capacitor inline as shown?

Welcome to the forum.

What sensor? (manufacturer & part number)

Hi purchasing.rttc,

The 277-12417-ND is not a sensor, but rather a sensor signal amplifier and isolator.

The configuration depends on the nature of the signal from the sensor which is to be amplified by the 277-12417-ND. If it truly does just output 0-1V, then it would not need a shunt resistor. If it outputs a current rather than a voltage, then it would require a shunt resistor to convert it from a current to a voltage output. If this is the case, then you would have to determine the resistor value needed to get the output voltage range you want (such as 0-1V).

The 277-12417-ND has DIP switches which are set to configure it to whatever input you feed it (such as 0-1V) and to configure the output to whatever you want (such as 0-10V).

Hi David,

User - ryan_2724 edited the post changing the context, quite frustrating.

The sensor is an automotive oxygen sensor which provides a 0 to 1V signal. I would like this signal isolated and amplified to a 0-10V signal for the PLC. The DIP switches are set according to [0V to 1V] input (not sure if there is a way to specify unipolar on the input side) and a [0 - 10V] output from the amplifier.

A multimeter across the sensor wires shows me the [0 to 1V] signal going through, but the PLC is not reading the expected [0 to 10V].

Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Well, I would start with all of the usual things that burn everyone from time to time. Triple check that proper voltage values and polarities are applied to the sensor, the Mini MCR- . . . signal conditioner, and your PLC. Be sure that your power sources can provide sufficient current for the expected loads.

For the signal conditioner, make sure you have properly configured the DIP switches. According to pages 10-11 of the datasheet, DIP switches should be set to the following:

If the output of the signal conditioner does not give you a proper output when connected to the sensor, I would test it separately by feeding a known good signal to the input with an adjustable power supply or similar. If you get a good output signal from that, then it’s possible that your sensor cannot supply sufficient current to feed the input of the signal conditioner. According to page 5 of the datasheet for the signal conditioner, the input impedance is about 10k Ohms, so if the output impedance of your sensor isn’t less than about 1k Ohms, then you are not likely to get accurate results without first buffering that output voltage to reduce the output impedance to a suitable range.

If the output of the signal conditioner does not give you a proper value when you test it with a known good input voltage, check all of your connections again for any fault conditions such as miswiring or faulty wires. The image you provided at the top of this entry appears to be a good guide for that.

Good luck.

1 Like