Stm32mp157a-dk1 - U-Boot 2019.10 SPL hangs at start-up

Hi all.
I have a STM32MP157A-DK1 board and I am following the instructions of the related wiki to get a working Linux system.
I followed the instructions but when I power-on the board I get

U-Boot SPL 2019.10-rc1 (Aug 26 2019 - 14:17:53 +0200)
Model: STMicroelectronics STM32MP157A-DK1 Discovery Board
RAM: DDR3-1066/888 bin G 1x4Gb 533MHz v1.44
WDT: Not found!
Trying to boot from MMC1

and then the system hangs.
Searching this forum I found this message in which the problem was solved simply recompiling u-boot using the compiler used in the wiki but this is not working for me.

Could you give me any suggestion? Thanks!

D.

@dbicego try a 2nd microSD card or rewrite the microSD again. It’s also happened once for me, but i haven’t been able to reproduce it enough to analyse it…

Can I assume you are NOT using a VM solution like recommended? (VMware/VirtualBox/etc…)

Regards,

@RobertCNelson Thank you for your reply.
I tried to rewrite the microSD many times but nothing changed.
Actually, I AM using a virtual machine as build system because on the PC that I can use I haven’t a native Linux system.
Could my error be related to that? For some other jobs I used some tools to generate embedded Linux using virtualized build systems and all went fine.
Did you find that building on a virtual machine have impacts (apart from performance obviously)?
Thanks again for your help.

D.

@dbicego, Virtual Machines are not supported due to the very issue you are seeing. They do not correctly write the bootloader via dd to the microSD, thru their emulated usb interface.

Regards,

@RobertCNelson Ok, so I guess that I have to find a Linux native machine to try to fix this.
I’ll be back soon with an update.
Thanks for your explanation!

Regards,
D.

Hi @RobertCNelson, I managed to do all the procedure with a Virtualized Linux except for the “dd” part of the bootloader that I did using another board running native Linux.
Like you said, this solved my problem and now I have a running Linux on my STM32MP1 dev-board.
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
D.