U-boot on BeagleBone Black

Hello,
I’m looking for script that format correctly sd-card to put there u-boot files: MLO and u-boot.img.
All scripts I tried until now don’t work.
Thanks in advance.
Pavel

HI @Pavel_47

Please feel free to use the guide posted here:

https://www.digikey.com/eewiki/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-SetupmicroSDcard

It’s the exact same information you’ve been given on the BeagleBoard.org forum.

We don’t store MLO and u-boot.img in “file” mode on the AM335x platform to due FAT file system issues. Instead they are stored dd’ed to the Partition to ensure reliable bootup.

Regards,

Hi Robert,
I know this is a pretty old message of yours, but I’m currently trying to get u-boot to work from a boot partition on an SD card (not by raw writing it onto the SD card).

No matter what I try, I’m failing and you are the first to mention that there may be some kind of issue.

Can you explain this potential issue a bit more?

For reference: here’s a summary of what I’ve tried:

Best

Hi @PeterB , while looking over your post a few things come to mind…

First this randomness is exactly the reason we switched to raw mode…

Are you using virtualization (VMware/VirtualBox/etc?) This always seems to get in the way between writing data and the usb media…

What did you use to partition the drive? For BeagleBoard.org, sfdisk was always the most reliable.

While TI doc’s say FAT32, i disagree, FAT16 was a ton more reliable, so use the “-F 16” option with mkfs.vfat…

Make sure the boot flag is enabled (which your does show…)

Finally, here’s the odd one…

Copy the MLO file first, then call ‘sync’… Then copy u-boot*.bin over…

Theory: (this also applies to the omap3 beagle, which only supports FAT mode…)

While the bootrom supports FAT, it does seem to be a very basic implementation. It likes to find MLO within a certain window on the disk itself, almost as if it still in a simple raw mode… FAT is simple enough, that you could read a file like this.

Yeah, we basically discovered thru BeagleBoard.org, as long as you never update MLO/u-boot.img in fat you are fine… But once you start pushing u-boot updates thru fat for those file, you start get random boot issues… It was just a ton more reliable to use RAW mode…

Regards,

1 Like