Webinar Date: February 28, 2023
Build Smarter Test Systems with NI PXI
This post covers Key Takeaways and Frequently Asked Questions from the NI Build Smarter Test Systems with NI PXI webinar regarding interconnect design considerations. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or a curious newcomer, you’ll find plenty of valuable information watching the webinar. Links to the Webinar, Resources, and Related Content are provided within the post. A copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be provided for customers that register to watch the recorded webinar. All Snippets and Content Compliments of NI.
PXI Chassis is like the motherboard, takes in different instruments and modules and their timing synchronization between instruments and controllers. It handles the cooling, some models can handle up to 18 slots or more with interfaces with many chassis connected to each other through daisy chain
InstrumentStudio is a free download to interactively control your instruments to skip programming
Programming an automated system and measurements with the use of LabVIEW, API drivers for Python, C, C++, C#, .NET, MATLAB
Test Workflow Pro Bundle allows programming or not based on task (LabVIEW, TestStand, Flexlogger, Gweb Development Software, Diadem)
A smart test system such as PXI is built for automation and customization. It features open, flexible hardware, modular hardware, vibrant ecosystem, customer-centric innovations, and lower TCO and faster ROI
PXI offers high throughput and low latency, reduced size, weight and power
PXI offers real time processing
What is the number of slots in a PXI chassis?
- We offer different options ranging from two slots up to 18 slots, or you can daisy chain multiple chassis together for more.
What are the different types of PXI controllers?
- There are two major flavors, a mixing controller to provide a bridge back to the PC, and an embedded controller which is essentially a computer that fits in the first slot of the PXI chassis to run Windows, Linux etc. operating systems.
What are PXI timing and synchronization capabilities?
- The advantage is being able to share signals and clock signals through the backside of the chassis.
Can I use PXI cards in a PXIe chassis?
- Most of the newer cards are hybrid compatible but you may want to verify the model.
Is InstrumentStudio the equivalent to the instrument panels?
- Yes, more or less, however InstrumentStudio has updated features that gives more ease of access, organize projects, export configurations, and many more updates. It also helps when debugging a system.
Are there already written Python drivers for PXI modules?
- Yes, check Python resources.
Is there a PXI module for a spectrum analyzer?
- Yes we have for both vector signal analyzers and transceiver modules.
What voltage rage do PXI modules cover?
- Our best meter goes up to a 1,000 volts input, 200v output.
Does PXI handle sound and vibration measurement well?
- Yes we offer resources demonstrating this.
Can we install a line x distribution?
- Yes we do also link a resource for this. If you have a PXI embedded controller can take Windows or Linux with various driver support.
Are multiple accuracy modules available for example a 1ghz or 5ghz module?
- Depending on the instrument product we do offer various classes of product within those that would be suiting to your needs.
Is customer calibration supported?
- Yes, we offer calibration and calibration recommendations 1-2 years and you may send in your products.
Can I use the PXIe 1083 with any USB C port on my PC?
- No it has to be Thunderbolt specifically.
How is the Thunderbolt 3 different from USB C?
- Thunderbolt uses the same connector, but uses a different subset of USB C, or uses a different communication logic basically.
Webinar Registration Link:
DigiKey Webinar Center:
DigiKey TechForum Webinar Posts:
DigiKey NI Product Offerings:
-Much more in-depth slides and a copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be provided for customers that register to watch the recorded webinar.