Webinar Date: April 27, 2023
Component Challenges and the Interconnect Design Drivers Shaping the IIoT Landscape in Smart Factory Applications
This post covers Key Takeaways and Frequently Asked Questions from the Amphenol Component Challenges and the Interconnect Design Drivers Shaping the IIoT Landscape in Smart Factory Applications webinar regarding interconnect design considerations. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or a curious newcomer, you’ll find plenty of valuable information watching the webinar. Links to the Webinar, Resources, and Related Content are provided within the post. A copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be provided for customers that register to watch the recorded webinar. All Snippets and Content Compliments of Amphenol.
Ethernet is used across various industries
Industrial Ethernet is the protocol to enable and sustain drivers and trends such as IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things/Industry 4.0), single protocol with higher speeds, data rates and scalability, greater port density, industrial (rugged) form factors, power to devices (PoE++, PoDL), factory/data analytics, and ability to connect new factory automation with older heritage equipment
“b” denotes bits while capital “B” denotes Bytes
Automation applications may typically use up to 1GbE speed (1 Giga bit Ethernet)
Automotive applications may typically use up to 10GbE speed
Enterprise such as a campus or data center may typically use up to 100GbE speed
Cloud Providers or hyperscale data centers may typically use up to 400GbE speed
Service providers may typically use up to TbE+ speed (Terabit or higher)
SPE IP20 cables use 1 pair ethernet cables
ix Industrial cables use 4 pair ethernet cables
Have there been any issues using these products in robotics applications?
- Robotics produce a lot of movement and EMI (electromagnetic interference), so using a standard cable may put some tension on the cable and torque on the connector and the interface. Make sure to use application specific cable, such as robotic cable to reduce torque put on the connector as these cables are made for more flexibility.
Are these products offered in a variety of plating options?
- ix Industrial products come with a variety of plating options, depending how much the connector will be mated and unmated. 30u’’ is probably the standard plating for smart factories to handle all the vibrations and mating cycles.
How important is reliability when selecting ethernet connectors in your design?
- Very important, as these are hyperconnected environments with EMI radiation, vibration, dust, and possible liquids. The ix Industrial and SPE have been made for these types of applications as they have good securing connection to hold a tight mating process producing a secure and reliable connection with shielding to prevent from radiated EMI.
How important is waterproof protection on ethernet connections?
- Smart factories may have exposure to dust, debris, and possible liquids from various processes.
Webinar Registration Link:
- Component Challenges and the Interconnect Design Drivers Shaping the IIoT Landscape in Smart Factory Applications
DigiKey Webinar Center:
DigiKey TechForum Webinar Posts:
DigiKey Amphenol Product Offerings:
-Much more in-depth slides and a copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be provided for customers that register to watch the recorded webinar.