Adding a Touch Screen to Prusa MK3S

I added a 7" Display from Seeed to my Prusa MK3S 3D Printer with OctoPrint and OctoScreen

]

The year 2020 will go down in history as a time of challenges and changes that rocked the planet. While some of those changes and challenges are definitively harder than others, I will say having the chance to work from home is one that I will always appreciate.

While I am here working at home, I have had the chance to go through some of the tech I have hiding in drawers, baskets, and boxes. I have found some products that I realized would be make a pretty cool project. I will put a touch screen on my Prusa MK3S 3D printer.

While the screen is roughly 3 to 4 inches larger than it really needs to be for this application, it is much better I do this with it than let it sit as it races towards obsolescence hidden away in a box.

Now that I think about it, I am also using a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB of Ram with a 32GB HCSD card for this project. Perhaps in the future I can set this up to also be a operate as TV box so I can catch some Netflix while I am printing my projects.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not done anything here that has not been done before. The value I hope to bring to the topic comes in the way of some 3D Models and an easy to use bill of materials.

The Products I used

Product Image Product Description
image208x109 Capacitive Graphic LCD Display Module Red, Green, Blue (RGB) TFT - Color HDMI, USB 7" (177.80mm) 1024 x 600
image207x123 BCM2711 Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB - ARM® Cortex®-A72 MPU Embedded Evaluation Board
image128x124 Memory Card microSD™ 32GB Class 10, UHS Class 1
image158x138 Cable Assembly HDMI-A Male to HDMI-A Male, R/A 6.0’ (1.83m)
image153x116 Adapter Connector HDMI Micro, Plug To HDMI, Receptacle Free Hanging (In-Line)
image170x162 USB 2.0 Cable A Male to Micro B Male, Right Angle 6.00’ (1.83m) Shielded
image236x254 Graphic LCD Display Module Red, Green, Blue (RGB) TFT - Color 7" (177.80mm) 800 x 480

I used a display that I already had at home. This is the official 7" Raspberry pi. I have no doubts that my model can be modified to fit this display as well.

If you happen to be in need of any the nuts, bolts, washers, or other hardware that I used in this project I will suggest you take a look at the following post:

The 3D models

I do believe this mounting system could be used for many different things. If you are interested printing these items you can directly download the STL files below. If you would like to edit them to suit your own purposes you can do so by making the models your own over at OnShape_Inline

Click the arrows to expand each section.

Display mount

E
Display Bracket Mount.stl (2.2 MB)

Neck and Arms

Neck Mount
Printer Button Assembly - Display Neck Mount.stl (984.8 KB)

Arm 3H Middle+Outside
Printer Button Assembly - Arm 3H_Inset_Center.stl (324.9 KB)
Printer Button Assembly - Arm 3H_Outside.stl (142.3 KB)

Arm 3H inset
Printer Button Assembly - Arm 3H_Inset.stl (226.3 KB)

Arm 2H
Printer Button Assembly - Arm 2H_Long.stl (113.6 KB)

Mount on the Right Side

Bracket Top Right
Printer Button Assembly - Bracket Right Top.stl (604.6 KB)

Bracket Bottom Right
Printer Button Assembly - Bracket Right Bottom.stl (345.0 KB)

Mount on the Left side

Bracket Top Left
Printer Button Assembly - Bracket Left Top.stl (604.6 KB)

Bracket Bottom Left
Printer Button Assembly - Bracket Left Bottom.stl (345.0 KB)

The Set Up

The instructions below are limited when it comes to assembling the articulating arm. For more detailed instructions visit the post for the Pause / E-stop button linked below.

I used the following YouTube video to walk me through the installation. It did a good job of doing it so I will direct you there if you need it.

Install Octoscreen on Raspberry Pi with 7inch Screen!

These are links to the required downloads and programs to get this up and running.

Notepad ++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Some files will need to be edited to change the settings. Normal text editors remove some of the information in the files that are needed when they save the document. We need to use a program like Notepad ++ to ensure these files are saved correctly and usable by the Octoprint system.

OctoPrint
https://octoprint.org/note

The headless operating system that controls the 3D printer from the Raspberry pi.

WIN32 Disk Imager
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/Archive/

This program will take the Octoprint image and install it on the micro SD card in a way that the Raspbery pi can boot from it.

Putty
https://putty.org/

This is used to communicate with the raspberry pi over an Ethernet connection from your PC. We will use it to install and edit files.

If you are using the same display that I am using, you will need to follow the instructions are in this document.

Octoscreen
https://github.com/Z-Bolt/OctoScreen

You will want to visit this page to get the proper code to install the deb package and its dependencies through putty. There are also configuration instructions available here.

I have found this to be a fairly simple project and the added functionality is wonderful. The touch screen adds a way to easily touch and select models that need to be reprinted and with a couple of touches its up and running.

CartoonMe Happy printing!

Keep an eye out for more of my creations as time goes on and feel free to reply here with creations of your own.

I use Onshape to create most of my designs. If you haven’t given Onshape a shot yet perhaps you should. It is very good at allowing multiple people to make their own iterations of a project and is a real asset while we are social distancing. You can start by editing this file to suit your needs as well as sharing it with a friend. Click below if you would like to learn more about OnShape in general.

The models here can be printed with your preferred 3D printer and filaments. These, as well as almost any electronic component you might need, can be provided by Digi-Key.

3 Likes

Hello, I am new to printing and I have a Prusa on order. I see that you have 2 lcd screens. do you need both or can you just purchase one for this project? I wish to do this project once my printer comes in.

Hello Hangman15, Welcome to our technical forum!

Thank you for your question. To answer you simply, The one on the bottom comes with the it. The one at the top is the one I added and even though it is looks nice and is touch screen there are functions that cannot be done unless your are using the stock interface. I find the bottom display to remain necessary and for that reason I would not recommend eliminating the one at the bottom for the one at the top.

Both the Prusa printer and the second screen are connected to a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint. Octoprint allows for the wireless transfer of prints straight from your Prusa Slicer to the printer. This is great because otherwise you find yourself Transferring an SD card back and forth with each new model.

Where this second touch screen really shines for me is for when I am printing the same thing over and over. It is so much easier to hit a couple of buttons on the screen that to use the rotational navigation on the printer.

I have included all of the links to the sources for each thing as well as all of the components that I used. If you have any questions while you are putting this together I would be happy to answer them for you.

1 Like

So are you using both touch screens or only 1? I guess that’s where i am confused as your picture only shows the one screen.

I am sorry to have confused you.
There is only one touch screen. It is a the top. that is the only one I added. The one at the bottom is not a touch screen, it is a simple LCD display and is part of the Prusa Printer.

What i am confused about is on your list you have 2 screens on the list to order but your build only uses one. Sorry that i have explained it wrong. are you using both for this build or only the top one or is the bottom one better for this build?

I understand now.

I used the Seeed Display that is on the top of the list because it was one that I already owned. That is the one the models are designed to fit.

The other display in that list is the official Raspberry Pi Display. I did not use that one but it could be used and being an official raspberry pi touch screen I simply thought that some people would prefer it to the Seeed Version.

You do not need both.

1 Like

That’s great thanks for clarifying that for me. So just a small mod maybe making clamps for the current model and it can hold the other screen. I see that you have a different model for your e-stop than the one you have in your other forum. I saw the model for the larger estop. do you have a model for the smaller one that you have pictured in the touch screen picture? You have been so helpful and i want to thank you for taking the time to help me understand everything.

Thanks,

Mikey

I am sorry to say that I no longer have the 3d models in OnShape. I do have the STL files for them however.

I am willing to share them with you but I would like you to know that after I printed them I did discover some errors that cause some inconstancies in the thicknesses of the support arms. The error also distorted the mounting holes on the mount behind switch enclosure. I fixed all of these issues before I posted the project but they are still present in these particular files. With this being said, if all the parts come from this set of STL files, they should all work together perfectly. Just be conscious of it.

1 - Z Bracket Left A.stl (345.0 KB)
2 - Z Bracket Left B.stl (605.4 KB)
3 - All Arms.stl (1.1 MB)
4 - Head Mount.stl (434.7 KB)
5 - Button Case A.stl (197.1 KB)
6 - Button Case B.stl (139.1 KB)
7 -Display and pi Mounting plate.stl (2.2 MB)

I hope this helps you!

This is great! I have a Prusa i3Mk2.5s. I need to look into this further but this build fulfills my desire for a touch screen and wireless transfer of prints along with keeping my PrusaSlicer.
I don’t know much about electronics (yet!) so maybe this is a good place to start.