ADSP-BF592KCPZ

i bought an ice-1000 to burn a .bin file in to the ADSP-BF592KCPZ. thinking it was quite straighforward.
can anyone tell me which software i can use , ?

and the steps to do it .

thanks

Hi @kenmooi, welcome to the forum. I would first start with CrossCore Embedded Studio:

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/software/adswt-cces.html

Regards,

1 Like

aftere downloading the CCSE, can you pls explain how to open a .bin file and burning the program in ?

Once it’s installed, you can use the cldp binary with out a license:

Here is Analog’s faq on cldp:

https://ez.analog.com/dsp/software-and-development-tools/hardware-tools/w/documents/6750/faq-how-do-i-program-flash-on-my-target-board-using-crosscore-embedded-studio

cldp.exe -proc ADSP-BF592 -emu 1000

I’m not sure on the -driver option

-driver

But the final part should be something like:

-cmd info -cmd prog -erase affected -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin -cmd compare -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin

Edit, you can get the -driver from:

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/bf592-ezlite.html#eb-documentation

-driver "C:\Analog Devices\ADSP-BF592_EZKIT-Rel1.0.0\BF592_EZ-Kit_Lite\Blackfin\Examples\Device_Programmer\serial\bf592_m25p16_dpia.exe"

So, this should work?

cldp.exe -proc ADSP-BF592 -emu 1000 -driver "C:\Analog Devices\ADSP-BF592_EZKIT-Rel1.0.0\BF592_EZ-Kit_Lite\Blackfin\Examples\Device_Programmer\serial\bf592_m25p16_dpia.exe" -cmd info -cmd prog -erase affected -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin -cmd compare -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin

Sorry, i don’t have the adapter to test…

This is what i get as output:

C:\Analog Devices\CrossCore Embedded Studio 2.9.2>cldp.exe -proc ADSP-BF592 -emu 1000 -driver "C:\Analog Devices\ADSP-BF592_EZKIT-Rel1.0.0\BF592_EZ-Kit_Lite\Blackfin\Examples\Device_Programmer\serial\bf592_m25p16_dpia.exe" -cmd info -cmd prog -erase affected -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin -cmd compare -format bin -file C:\myProject\MyProject.bin
Target          Blackfin Emulators/EZ-KIT Lites
Platform        ADSP-BF592-A via ICE-1000
Processor       ADSP-BF592-A
Core            0
Driver          C:\Analog Devices\ADSP-BF592_EZKIT-Rel1.0.0\BF592_EZ-Kit_Lite\Blackfin\Examples\Device_Programmer\serial\bf592_m25p16_dpia.exe
Error: [TpsdkServer] Failed to connect to processor.

Error: 0x80048020
Error Description: Selected emulator not detected

Regards,

hi robert,

that is a great help. i will try it out in the morning and will let you know how it goes.
when you mentioned about the licence for the CCSE, does this mean i need to buy a licence for it
and i can then use a more user friendly method to , open the BIN file and program it directly to the MCU ? or the only way is using the cldp .

Based on this post, the “CLDP” is free, but only the build tools need a license, so just don’t register.

https://ez.analog.com/dsp/software-and-development-tools/cces/f/q-a/67900/cldp-requires-a-full-cces-license

Sadly, that forum link has two “old” gui options that don’t exist anymore… It looks like the clpd tool is the only option. Unless another user on this forum knows about another tool.

Regards,

ill try this tomorrow, and many thanks for the help.

hi robert,

we have been trying for the last 2 days, to get this going, we suspect maybe we are not
connecting the JTAG to the ADSP-BF592KCPZ, correctly. can you tell which pins need to be connected
to the emulator and if any of the pins on the ADSP-BF592KCPZ needs to be bridged, etc.

we have also connected power to is 3.3 volts. but we are still getting
Error: [TpsdkServer] Failed to connect to processor.

thanks for your help again

Do you have a custom board, or an Analog Device’s development kit? Can you share the part number or your schematic if it’s custom?

Regards,

hi robert,

basically we wanted to flash to the MCU directly, so we bought a Jig, that will hold the ADSP-BF592KCPZ, and pin it out to the JTAG pins from the ICE-1000. the engineer, pinned them all out according to the pin assignments, but maybe he missed something, which is why im asking, which pins do we use , or could you do a scematic for us on the pins that we need to connect to the ice-1000.
so basically, just a schematic to make the mcu flashable using the ICE-1000.

OH MY! Power, Ground, Clock’s?

Regards,

possibly he missed to clock. we already had the ground and power connected. :slight_smile:
anything else ?

hi robert,

after re reading the instructions, i think i know where we went wring here, the ice-1000 , needs to be used with the B592 ezkit eval board. would that be correct ?
and we were trying to flash to our own board, the drivers may not be correct to do that.
would this be correct ?

Hi @kenmooi, actually the bigger question, what are you trying to write/flash to the ADSP-BF592KCPZ ? I just noticed this issue, when going thru the technical manual, as this device does not have any onboard flash, instead it relies on external flash memory on your PCB…

Regards,

hi

we were given a bin file by our customers, saying to use this file to pre flash the [ADSP-BF592KCPZ]
before production.
usually for atmel, microchip , this wouldnt have been a problem. but for analog devices, we dont have much experience with this. we looked at the customers, board, and the programming pins were using the ISP ports, not Jtag, so when we asked them what programmers they were using, they said it was a propriety thing and advised us to get it pre programmed. so we looked up the ice-1000 and hope that we could set up a jig to flash the bin file to the mcu

Nope, sorry. It’s only designed to flash the flash downstream of the ADSP-BF592KCPZ… What flash are they using in their design, on the plus side for flash memory, there are lots of programming socket’s…

Regards,

hi robert,

so you are saying that i only need to flash the file to the memory chip . the chip they are using are
MX25L12833FM2I-10G its a macronix flash memory.

i have that programmer as well. i will give it a try and see. thanks alot for your help.

regards

hi robert,

just to report back and say thanks for all your help, you were right about the memory chip,
all we had to do was burn it to the memory chip . and we got it working.

thanks for all the support.