AS22 Broadcom Rotary Encoder

Trying to fit this encoder but it came without the spacer pin so I do not know what (axial) distance to fix the code wheel from the pcb. Does anyone know? Also, should I remove the plastic film from under the code wheel or does this stay on? Thanks, Phil.

Phil.Lloyd, Welcome to the Digi-Key TechForum.
I’m not familiar with using the encoders, but some of the engineers may have some information.
Do you have a picture of what you are trying to do, and maybe a part number for the encoder that you are using?

AS22 Broadcom Rotary Encoder notes.docx (573.0 KB) Thanks David. I have made some notes on this word document about the encoder I am having trouble getting information on. Cheers, Phil.

Hi Phil,

It is interesting to notice the lack of information of the spacer pin, although the manufacturer mentions that the installation is “hassle free”.
Some idea of the diameter may be obtainable from the encoder’s datasheet. The difficulty is to know, which encoder is used in the AS22 product. For example, if it is AEDR-8400, then the gap from the code wheel to the top of the lens should be 0.42mm and as the encoder height is 1.27mm, the gap from PCB should then be 1.7 - 1.8mm (solder on SMD pads may elevate the encoder a bit). The code wheel (the hub) has a flange on bottom side, which has to be taken into account while estimating the pin diameter.
https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/AV02-0262EN

Maybe the easiest way is to place a 0.4mm soft plastic sheet on top of the optical encoder, lower the hub and remove the sheet after the set screw is tightened.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Heke, AsamaLab

Thanks Heke. I appreciate your reply. Cheers, Phil.

1 Like