Auto setup routing for wifi and modem-ppp

Hi Robert,
I have cellular modem setup as PPP connection, and wifi connection and I found routing table is not setup corrected if PPP is no then connects wifi, or vice versa.
Is there a way on some routing table configuration that wifi takes precedence over ppp, and automatically sets up the rouging table (with metric)?

Thank you,
David

Hi @dzhou,

Sorry i haven’t really looked at this issue that much before… Connman supports this, and I’ve previously used it for WiFi to Ethernet fallover…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

I dig into the issue a bit more, and if add the following line into ip-up script for the ppp connection, it will set the metric to 10 in this case:
route add default metric 10 gw $PPP_REMOTE $PPP_IFNAME in the ip-up

But I found the routing is more than that. It depends which one starts first (wifi or ppp). So, it requires script to modify the routing table, anyway.

Best Regards,

David

Hi Robert,

Today is my last day for the year here. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your help and support, not just Beagle Bone, but also many other topics beyond. I wish you have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

David

Merry Christmas. I also always find help and support.

To be honest, it was a bit difficult for me. I also tried to set up my router, but I didn’t really know how to do it. I searched a bit on the internet for how to do this and found the site http://192.168.8.1, where step-by-step instructions for configuring the router were provided. In fact, there are a lot of things there, such as how to find your IP address, how to log in to the router, how to change the password and name of your Wi-Fi network, and much more. I just recently stumbled upon this site, and I really hope it’s not too late, and it will help you solve your problem.

HI Leonard,

For now, I setup network one at a time, i.e. if wifi turns on, the cellular is turned off, vice versa. It works. I like to make it if wifi is on, it takes precedence over wifi. The issues are two folders: one is how to set metric, the other is routing table conflicting for accessing www. Manually, I can change routing table to make it work. But how to dynamically, especially without knowing what wifi and cellular networks will be connected, it is a little hard hing to do. I won’t spend too much time at the moment, and one at a time approach works anyway.

Thank you,
David