BEAGLEBONE BLACK REV C3

Hello everyone, I would like to know if this code 2820-102110420-ND refers to new beaglebone black Rev c3?

Thanks for all.

Hi @leonardo.alcantara that is correct, Seeed has switched over to PCB Rev C3, all the old prior “C” sold out last summer. (Last December was our first shipment of C3 from Seeed, and those sold out too…)

Regards,

1 Like

Robert,

I have also been trying to decipher what is going on with this. I have much better understanding of the beaglebone line up now that I have been deep diving into the product pages and such, but now I have to add a question to this.

Firstly, I found this link to the official product page.
https://beagleboard.org/black
that doesn’t make any mention of it at all

I also found this link to the Github page

It shows that the VC3 is a thing.

and of course we have the product on our website

DIGI-KEY PART # 2820-102110420-ND
MANUFACTURER BeagleBoard by Seeed Studio
DESCRIPTION BEAGLEBONE BLK REV C AM3358BZCZ
DATASHEET 2820-102110420-ND Spec

That does not show it either.

I do have to ask since it looks looks to me that the Beagle Bone Black Wireless /Black Industrial / AI / Green / Green Wireless / and SanCloud Beagle Bone Enhanced are all derivatives of the Beagle Bone Black. Do you know if this means they are all C3 versions too?

No, this is specific to the BeagleBone Black currently produced by SeeedStudio… All other’s had various stock-piles of parts for their design’s. Seeed was the first to run out of the EOL microSD cage’s, so the PCB had to be changed, thus a couple old fixes where rolled into what BeagleBoard.org calls “Rev C3”… eventually everyone else will migrate, but today, only the BeagleBone Black from Seeed is a “Rev C3”…

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @RobertCNelson, Thank you for your support.
On the digikey website they have about 3000 in stock, all are already with the new C3 revision correct?
I will buy some units

Correct, “all” BeagleBone Black’s from Seeed Studio in our building are Rev C3…

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @RobertCNelson,

Is there any information you can provide regarding the changes that were made to the BeagleBone Black Rev C3? Here’s the change list that I’m seeing:

1. Page 3: Added series resistor (R35,R36,R43,R44,R168-R173)=33R to the MMC1 lines, C175=DNI(10pF) to the MMC1_CLK to DGND; Changed C24 from 2.2uF to DNI.

2. Page 4: Changed USB1_VBUS series resistor from FB8=0.1R 0805 to R37=0R 0402.

3. Page 8: Connected the Pin A6 J5 of U13(eMMC IC) to DGND.

4. Page 9: Added AM3358 GPIO1_8 and a Positive-AND gate(U1) to reset ethernet LAN8710A; Added series resistor (R38-R42)=33R to the LAN8710A TX lines;
    Changed (C137-C140) from DNI to 10pF.

5. Page 11: Changed the MicroSD Connector from ALPS_SCHA5B0200 (EOL) to
    YU LIANG_YL004-030-001; Added series resistor (R2,R13,R15,R16,R31,R32)=33R and C5=DNI(10pF) to the MMC0 lines.

For context, I am trying to decide whether to use a BeagleBone Black or a BeagleBone Green, and it looks like most (all?) of the above changes have been applied to the former but not the latter.

Thanks,
Kartik

@kartik

I found the below linked change doc from Beagleboard.
Change History — BeagleBoard Documentation

Rev C3

PCB revision C.

Initial boxes mistakenly say rev C1.

Thanks!

Do you know (or is it documented somewhere) the intent behind these changes?

• Added series resistors to MMC1 lines and depopulated C24.
  • Connected pin A6 of J5 on U13 (eMMC IC) to DGND.
  • Changed USB1_VBUS series resistor to 0 ohm.

None of these changes appear to be included in the latest revision of the BeagleBone Green, along with the Ethernet PHY issue mentioned above.

Thanks,
Kartik

C24 was actually a partial fix for PHY reset on the Black… A6 and J5 was a cleanup, thinking the pins where reserved years ago, later eMMC spec just says to gnd them.

Green will eventually get a respin, the microSD cage required on the older pcb’s is unavailable…

Regards,

Thanks, this is very helpful!

Do you have any insight behind these changes as well:

• Added series resistor (R35,R36,R43,R44,R168-R173)=33R to the MMC1 lines, C175=DNI(10pF) to the MMC1_CLK to DGND.

Improve EMI performance: docs/PCN/PCN_BBB_v0.2.pdf · master · BeagleBoard.org / BeagleBone Black · GitLab