Choosing an IR Receiver

I am using a Logitech Harmony 350 Remote (an All-In-One type remote)which I’m assuming will eventually “talk” to a chosen Vishay receiver. This IR Receiver is connected to an ATMega328 to eventually power some LEDs. After narrowing down all the Supply Voltages, Mounting Type, etc. Sensing Distance is not relevant. I am still left with 100+ choices. I don’t think(?) the Current Supply is relevant (correct me if I’m wrong, definitely a beginner)? So that pretty much leaves the B.P.F. Center Frequency, so I should be able to choose any of the remaining since the remote should cope with multiple different frequencies. I will contact Logitech to confirm this ability (and how to program it). So, the question is can I choose any of the 100+ remaining?

I will be checking with the product manager on this issue.

@hybrid4422-4

I think you are correct in thinking that most of these will work with your remote. The issue you will have will be in programming the remote. Since you will have an unknown device and you will not have a remote that matches the unknown device. i think you are also going to have to pick out an emitter as well. You will need this to program the device.

Here is the note from logitech.

In order for Harmony to learn the IR commands for this device, you’ll have to teach those signals using the original remote that came with this device, or using another remote that is able to control it.

From my understanding you will need to build a remote with an emitter and then use that to program your harmony remote. What ever frequency you teach your remote will be the frequency it uses to control the device. So if you pick an emitter and receiver that would pair together you would be able to use the emitter to teach the harmony remote to communicate with the receiver.

-Robert

Hi Guys,

You guys are sooo good. In the distant recesses of my brain, it does recall that Logitech learning process.
Thank you very much for helping me avoid a frustrating and expensive mistake.

Cheers
Tony

I have yet to hear back from Logitech and don’t expect to.
I forgot to mention my use of an Arduino Uno R3 to program (again an assumption)the “standalone” ATMega328 > controlling the LEDs.
I have of course spent several hours Googling 'til I’m blue in the face, how to build/use a remote emitter, and again this led me back to the Arduino. Links all over the place including back to Digi-Key. DFRobot has DFR0094/DFR0095 which are quite cheap and I may be able to incorporate. There is also the Sparkfun IR Control Kit 13235 (which you don’t appear to carry) may be a simpler method overall.
I can physically follow someone else’s schematic and build, but still doubt my capability to code/program the Arduino. But will certainly try.

Hello,

I will contact the proper department to see what we can do to help you further. 

Thanks, Bobby

@hybrid4422-4

So being new to the IR control and the Arduino code i would recommend something like SparkFun Electronics remote part number 1568-1799-ND. With this remote your Arduino Uno R3 and a receiver 751-1227-ND You could create a circuit that could control your LEDs.

If you look at the IR Control Kit Hookup Guide from SparkFun it will show exactly how to hook up and even has example code. Once you have this built and working then you could look at moving off the Arduino board and to a standalone chip. You could also look at using this remote from SparkFun to program your Harmony Remote in the future if you wanted to still use that.

-Robert

Hi Robert,

Firstly my apologies for not returning your email as quickly as you did. I’ve spent a lot of time since, researching and adding to my shopping lists !!

Secondly (maybe it should be first). This is why they pay you the BIG $bucks :)) Your relevant and concise reply is HUGELY appreciated. Example is that very nice go-fast red Sparkfun remote, which didn’t “Search” result when I tried.

Again, Thank You, Robert.

Cheers

Tony

1 Like