Connectors Style Recommendation

Hi! I have a plastic box enclosure 6” square with a 12 VDC 3 amp hour sealed drycell battery inside. The battery is used to drive a linear force actuator. A 110v AC 0.5 amp recharger is used to recharge the battery. Currently, I must open the box, remove the battery, and use 2 alligator clips on the recharger wires to connect to the battery. I’d like to buy connectors to link the recharger to the battery as needed without having to open the box. What type of connectors are recommended? Both connector sides are “hot” … one to battery the other to recharger so I’m thinking connectors should be shielded. Thank you!

Hello @DClark8 thank you for posting your question.

To make a recommendation I will have to ask a couple additional questions.

1. Being your battery is in an enclosure do we need to make sure the enclosure is sealed?
  2. Does the connector have to be latching?
  3. How much room do you have for a connector?
  4. Do you have a preference for attaching terminals? (Crimp, Solder)
  5. What is the wire gauge you will be using to attach the battery and on the charger side?

Thank You
-Robert

1. Being your battery is in an enclosure do we need to make sure the enclosure is sealed? No, the battery is a sealed dry cell 3" x 4".
  2. Does the connector have to be latching? No, it doesn’t have to be but latching is preferred to ensure a positive sustained connection during the charging process.
  3. How much room do you have for a connector? Available volume = 1.5 cubic inch
  4. Do you have a preference for attaching terminals? (Crimp, Solder) Solder
  5. What is the wire gauge you will be using to attach the battery and on the charger side? 10 AWG to handle 12VDC, 0.5 amps max charge current
    Your guidance and detailed questions are appreciated. Thanks!

@DClark8

You could take a look at parts SC1203-ND and mating connector SC1206-ND

image image

These are made for a smaller wire gauge, however with only 0.5A you should not have to go to a 10AWG. These are rated for up to 7.5A.

Robert,
Yes, this will work great. Thank you!

Dave Clark