iCE40 UltraPlus Mobile Development Platform

Hello All
Greetings

I have got iCE40 UltraPlus MDP, (based on FGPA iCE40UP5K-UWG30) and the quickstart guide says the the board has been pre configured for face detection demo and shipped. So when its powered on it should run the face detection demo.

However its not happening which i received from digikey.

If someone is there (who has experience with this board), could throw some light on what the problem could be, it would be much appreciated.

thanks and regar
santhosh

Have you gone through the Face detection Demo setup?
https://www.latticesemi.com/-/media/LatticeSemi/Documents/ReferenceDesigns/EI2/iCE40-UltraPlus-Face-Detect-Reference-design-User-Guide.ashx?document_id=52153

Looks like there is some set-up required. Before running the demo, the MDP board must be configured by setting the switches and jumpers as shown in Figure

@Robert_Fay
Thank you for the suggestions.
I have set the jumpers etc as per the guide (which is also factory set, when the board is shipped).
So after unboxing, when i switch on the board for the first time, i believe that the demo should come up
automatically.

Another issue is that I have not been able to download the Lattice Diamond/Radiant software. When i try to “Generate License” etc. it says that webpage is not available. (Not sure if its due to import restrictions etc.
I am not based out of US,)

I have written to the Lattice folks requesting help.

thanks and regards
santhosh

Hello, the MDP kit from Lattice does need to be configured properly as Robert stated based on the link to the getting started guide for the kit. Anything from the correct switch settings to the Diamond interface if needed? As far as downloading software/config files, these should not be limited by EU countries. Are you able to at minimum power on the board correctly at this point? could you have lost your flash memory for the config? just some quick questions I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

iCE40UP5K-MDP-EVN, may require special switch and jumper settings along with downloading the demo bitstream. I would first validate that your board powers up correctly, next would be to check if you are able to get a positive link to your board. let me know what you find out.

2 Likes

as far as generating a full license, those must be purchased, once you have the activation code, you should then be able to activate your license. Though you may be able to register for a “lite” license if you wish or a trial.

Thank you William for the feedback.
Yes, the board in powering up…
Board is powered by USB (connected to a Linux System) → J5 (- Power Supply and Programming)
a) D8 Green LED Glows
When SW2 - Power SW is turned on
a) D9 Green LED glows continuously
b) D5 Yellow LED Flashes ------> Not sure if this is the expected behavior.
c) D12 (CDONE_C) Flashes for some time and then its remains off.

I have rechecked the jumper settings as per Roberts advice.

As far as software licensing is concerned, i am yet to hear from the Lattice folks.
(I am based out of Dubai, UAE, and working as a CS faculty in an academic institution.)

thanks and regards
santhosh

Sorry. forget to add.

The LCD Panel glows
On the linux system
$ dmesg o/p
[573733.330053] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[573733.453547] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6010
[573733.453559] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[573733.453566] usb 3-1: Product: Dual RS232-HS
[573733.453573] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
[573733.454658] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[573733.454882] usb 3-1: Detected FT2232H
[573733.455323] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[573733.455798] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[573733.455902] usb 3-1: Detected FT2232H
[573733.456123] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

thanks and regards
santhosh

Lattice folks have enabled the download link.
Will update the status after going thru the installation.

thanks and regards
santhosh

@William & @Robert Fay

Thank you for all the suggestions.

i was able to get the face detection demo working on the iCE40UP5K-MDP-EVN on windows.

thanks and regards
santhosh