Need to bypass bad hood ajar switch

Hi guys.
So, my truck has a bad hood ajar switch which means that while I’m driving I get a “HOOD OPEN” alert.
It’s annoying and it also has disabled my remote start. …and of course the part is on intergalactic back order.
I managed to find a wiring diagram for it and it looks like the sweet spot is 1580 ohms.
Shango066 raves about getting his parts from this website and I would like to know if what I have pictured will work or if something else could be suggested.
The only reason I picked this particular resistor is because it was the first one that showed up in stock.
Thanks!

Hi Corey,

The schematics may suggest that the 1580 ohm resistor would not be the optimal choice. However, the best by-pass fix depends on how the switch is malfunctioning. I am just guessing here, but HOOD OPEN warning suggests that the switch itself is not malfunctioning but the mechanism that actuates the switch is not doing it’s job (deformed etc.). If the switch is broken, you’d probably get another type of diagnostics warning (the whole idea of having those little resistors inside the switch is to detect switch malfunction, in addition to the hood state detection).

So first thing you could try is to open the hood and manually push the switch. Does the warning go away? If it did, then the problem is the above mentioned deformation, not the switch itself. If you do not need the hood detection, try to remove the wire that goes to the switch’s “B”-terminal and connect it to the other terminal that has the diode (terminal’s label is not shown in the schematic. Would assume it is “A”).

If it after all seems that the switch is broken, for by-pass you would need either 732 ohm or 2312 ohm (732 + 1580) resistor, depending on which position of the switch denotes to HOOD OPEN state (schematic does not indicate that). Similar 1/4W metal film resistor as what you found will do fine. To be exact, the diode that is shown to be inside the switch is also needed here in order to keep the circuit identical, but try first just with a resistor alone.)

Also note that the resistance values may not need to be that exact, I guess a close value within ±5% will do well.

Hope this helps,
heke, AsamaLab

2 Likes