PandaBoard - kernel source from 2 repos, why?

hi Robert and all,

By tracing build_kernel.sh, I see the following (summarized) processes (not url correct due to limitation for new user)

git clone …/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git /home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/ignore/linux-src

git clone --shared /home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/ignore/linux-src /home/qws/myGithub/Panda-Repo/armv7-multiplatform/KERNEL

git tag | grep “v4.10.17” | grep -v rc > /dev/null 2>&1 || git_kernel_torvalds

The following is resulted of git_kernel_torvalds function being executed, as the former command failed

git pull --no-edit …/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master --tags

git tag | grep “v4.10.17” | grep -v rc > /dev/null 2>&1 || git_kernel_stable

The following is resulted of git_kernel_stable function being execuated, as the former command failed

git fetch …/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git master --tags

From what I gathered about Trevolds repo and the linux_stable, I came to conclusion that:

1. Trevolds repo has all the cutting edge source of various new boards, while linux_stable repo has none of those except the stable (generic) kernel.
  2. Hence, the solution is to get the source of Trevolds and later add/merge the source from linux_stable.

Is it right? Appreciate if you could elaborate please.

Thank you
Lim

Hi Lim,

Linus’ repo doesn’t contain the stable tag’s. (v4.10.16/v4.10.15/v4.10.x) So we use Greg’s linux-stable repo for that. There’s a also a 1-2 day delay between Linus’ repo and Greg’s linux-stable repo for rcX releases (v4.13.0-rc2).

So in short, if your using stable releases, Greg’s linux-stable repo is all you need. But if you need the lastest rcX release, you’ll need Linus’ repo.

Since my build repo is generic and target’s both case’s, it pulls from both repo’s.

Regards,